hey guys!

I had been out for an office lunch today with our CTO, CIO and the
entire team under my IT head. It was a buffet but I had the luxury of
being served as my IT head requested for the same on my behalf. I
mostly ate with hands but when it comes to halwa, ice-cream, etc it
cannot be done. The ice-cream was served in a deep plate which helped
me target it and avoid spilling over. My colleagues guided me whenever
the other stuff neared the edge and where to target the starter with
the fork. It's a matter of comfort and confidence that we demonstrate
at such events. Of course, the people around us matters too.

It can definitely benefit practicing good eating habits and developing
confidence. My bad - I haven't really done so.

On 9/17/13, Amar Jain <amarjain2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I appreciate the fact that those who do not use spoon and other
> cutleries whether by choice or on account of difficulties are not
> necessarily bad eaters, and to that extent the explanations of
> everyone are good enough to give the justification for not doing so.
> It is a matter of choice whether you enjoy eating by hand or you want
> to learn using these things. Although I myself love eating with my
> hands, but I have always tried and obtained a certain level of comfort
> in using spoon etc if the situation demands so. Because I don't
> practice it regularly, the speed becomes an issue to a limited extent.
>
> Based on my discussion with those who are born blind and are living in
> Westurn countries, they are not taught to eat with their hands, and
> have been using these spoons and cutleries right from their childhood
> and have been managing quite well so far.
>
> My suggestions are as follows:
>
> 1. It requires focus and practice. The major area where we need to
> focus is the dimension of the plate, and if it is a gravy, then we
> need to make sure that the spoon is straight.
>
> Tip: when you are at home, try taking water in an empty spoon from the
> plate and drink it. This way, one can take even the gravy which is not
> so thick.
>
> 2. I often have difficulties in cutting the items because I have never
> given it the focus which it demands. A knife in other hand or a fork
> may be helpful.
>
> 3. When you are about to finish your dish, and it is the end part
> which causes discomfort, then either gently use your thumb / first
> finger to see that the remaining quantity of the dish is in your
> spoon. If it is too much of hassle, then I opt to leave the end
> portion.
>
> 4. Not a happy solution, but if you are stuck, then identify the items
> which you can easily eat with fork / spoon. Rice with daal, is a good
> option. Noodles can be easily eaten using fork, if you rap and eat.
>
> 5. For things like Pizza, it is better and easier to use hand than to
> use fork and knife.
>
> 6. Another idea is to take vegitables / dal in bowl instead of plate,
> it makes things more simpler.
>
> 7. When I have to eat kake, I try and get it in the disposable cup
> (used for ice creams), so that the quantity is less to eat.
>
> This much is enough for now, hope it is of some help.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Amar Jain.
> Website: www.amarjain.com

Best Regards,
Zujar...

An optimist laughs to forget, whereas a pessimist forgets to laugh!