One question - does this app work across all Indian cities?

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of ra...@barrierbreak.com
Sent: 30 September 2013 22:00
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] M-Indicator: Implementing accessibility can help make a
difference

M-Indicator: Implementing accessibility can help make a difference

The second one in 'App a Month' blog series by BarrierBreak to talk about
Mobile App Accessibility! This time Bhavesh, who is blind chose to review
one of the most popular travelling apps - the 'M-indicator'. He shares his
experience below.

Why M-Indicator?
Every day I travel from Vikhroli to Goregaon to come to office and vice
versa. Sighted people can see the indicator as soon as they reach the
railway station. However for me, this app is very useful, as I can check
the time table of the trains or buses in real time, whenever I need
without sighted assistance. This app also helps me to check which buses
arrive on a particular bus stop wherever I happen to be. This is very
helpful when there are no people nearby whom I can ask about the timings
and do not have to be dependent on someone for the train or bus details.

M-Indicator with Talkback
The app was reviewed for accessibility on the stock android, running
Jellybean 4.3 OS, on the Google nexus 7 tablet. The app was tested using
"Talkback", a free screen reader available for android platform, which
enables the visually impaired users access the android devices based on
spoken descriptions.

Features of the app
The following are some key features that this app offers:

Railway: Checking the railway time table for the trains across Mumbai,
View Indicator Symbols used to indicate station names on the railway
station indicator, Railway ticket fare etc.
Get quick updates on rickshaws and taxi fares per KM, so that you know how
much to pay while traveling.
Bus: includes buses arriving at particular bus stop, Search buses between
source and destination.
View category wise list of picnic spots e.g. Beaches, Hill stations,
Waterfalls, Caves etc.
Note: at this point, the talkback screen reader does not support the auto
complete feature in the case of apps. The auto complete feature is where
you enter data in an input field, and the list of suggestions gets
populated.

So let's get on with the review.

My experience
Railway
When I launch the app for the first time, the talkback screen reader read
the advertisements which appear on most of the screens, followed by the
list of features such as "Railway", "Bus" etc. However it did not announce
the element type such as link or button for each item that is present on
the screen. The screen reader also did not announce the Hints to activate
the element. Hints are descriptions which are provided specifically for
screen reader users; that include information about gestures that required
to be used to interact with an element.

I did some guess work and double tapped on "Railway" to see whether it
opens another screen, and it worked! The app loaded "You are at" screen of
the railway section. I noticed that first Talkback screen reader announced
"Button" for some buttons, followed by "Home 1″, "Home 2″ and
so on. When I asked a sighted friend who was next to me, he told me that
visually the information was laid out differently for sighted users.

Actually the screen was divided in to 2 rows, and the buttons correspond
to "Home 1″ and "Home 2″, and "Office 1″ and "Office
2″ icons respectively on the screen which was very confusing. When I
activated the first button, a pop-up was displayed containing the
instruction to click on "*" icon to make a bookmark for home and another
"*" icon to make it a bookmark for office. However this instruction went
over my head like a bouncer goes over the batsman's head in a cricket
match. In other words the instruction did not specify the necessary steps
to achieve the same.

After reading the instruction from the pop-up, I search for "OK" button or
"Close" button for the pop-up to close. However the same was not present
on the screen.

Next, from the "You are at" screen of the railway section I tapped on "W"
for western railway (Again through guess work!) as the same was not
announced as a button. On the activated screen, I had to select the
direction I needed to go. Again the information was laid out differently
for sighted users. Screen reader announced "Churchgate followed by
"Button", and then a "Button" followed by "Dahanu road". This was
frustrating!

Once I selected the direction, the list of trains was displayed. A good
thing to note here is that the screen reader read the list of available
trains, including their expected timings. I could select the train I need
to catch and know the list of stations it halts at.

Next I accessed the "Ticket fare" screen of the same section. But I could
not enter the source and destination in the respective input fields. I had
to manually select the stations displayed after activating the unlabeled
buttons besides "Source" and "Destination" input fields respectively to
get the ticket fare.

The rail map was displayed using images that lacked alternate textual
description, due to which I could not access the information that was
conveyed using the map.

Bus
I accessed "Bus number" screen from this section. I entered the bus number
in the "Search" input field. However there was no "Search" button. Instead
the list of suggestions gets populated on the screen, as soon as I started
entering the data.

Conclusion
While the app seems really useful to get the information at hand, it is
not accessible for visually impaired users.

Note: Although I have discussed the findings of the elements present in
the railway and bus sections, the findings apply to all of the internal
screens where such elements are used. Apart from the issues I mentioned
above, issues, such as inaccurate and incomplete titles for screens,
incomplete labels for input fields, incorrect instructions and missing
instructions on some screens make the app more difficult to use.

If this app is made accessible, this will surely become my favorite app!
Let's hope that this review helps to identify the issues present in the
app to make it accessible. I would urge developers to develop more of such
apps and make them accessible, so that all can use them effectively,
including the people with disabilities.

Thanks & Regards
Ramya Venkitesh - BarrierBreak

ia.org.in