-----Original message-----
From: avinash shahi
Sent:  21/10/2013, 3:30  pm
To: jnuvision; accessindia
Subject: [AI] Kashmir University: Disabled unfriendly institution
dear avvinash, we need to know how many studants and employess with disablity
in this university?, as per provisions of u g c this is obligatory for every
university and college to provide reservation in admitions, employment  to  pwd
and to ensure a barier free envirement to them in study, teaching, movement and
residing.   so their  problems may be brought into the notice of u g c or ccpd.
But some one has to take lead to make difference in situvation.

Students with disabilities complain that university and college
authorities have failed to provide them the facilities they need
CONCERN
BILAL BHAT
October 21 2013
http://jammu.greaterkashmir.com/news/2013/Oct/21/disabled-unfriendly-institutions-11.asp
It’s hard to imagine the life of the disabled. You can see them
toiling to move from one place to another. Some hobble down the aisle,
some are seen struggling to use the staircase, while others complain
how difficult it is to walk under the scorching sun and in the chill
of the winter.
The social welfare schemes don't seem to benefit the disabled students
in time. Most of the disabled students are not able to avail the
benefits due to lack of awareness. Being physically challenged,
education becomes their only hope to achieve their dreams and live an
independent life. But in the garb of sympathy, they face lot of
discrimination, not only in educational institutes but also at the
time of their employment. After years of struggle to get educated,
they are shown the door by employers on the pretext of being
‘disabled.’
For 24-year-old Arshid Ahmad Dar, who is pursuing LLB in Kashmir
University, climbing stairs in the campus is like climbing a mountain.
He uses a crutch and totters when he walks. “Orthopedically challenged
students while climbing the stairs always have fear of falling. It
feels like you are on the tip of the cliff and death is a step away,”
he says. “Why our university is lacking facilities for disabled
students? How could the orthopedically challenged persons walk up
stairs and make it to the department,” he asks. “University should
have taken this into consideration as other universities in India do.”
After struggling hard to get educated for a normal job, the disabled
are rejected at the time of their employment. Twenty-five-year old
Mohammad Sulthan Rather, who hails from Wassan Bangil, Tangmarg, wants
to become a teacher. Without upper limbs, he struggled hard to make it
to the postgraduate level. After doing masters in education, he
completed his B.Ed and applied for teachers post in 2010. After
getting shortlisted, he was interviewed. He thought his dream is a
step away. But in spite of having the requisite education
qualification, he was disqualified on the pretext of being a ‘disabled
person.’ His dreams were shattered.
“Why did they accept my form and shortlisted me for the post and even
interviewed me?” he asks. “They should have told me from the beginning
that I'm not eligible. While I approached higher authorities they told
me you are not eligible because you don’t have upper limbs.”
Mohammad Sulthan writes with his feet and believes he can teach as
well as others teachers. Disappointed by the system, he says
politicians only brag and those schemes remain confined to the files
and are not applied on the ground. In order to get justice, he filed a
case in high court challenging his post. “I will fight my case. If
other states can have a teacher without upper limbs why not in
Kashmir?” he asks. “I won’t get distracted by this and I have almost
completed my M.Ed to fulfill my dream.”
For the past one year some students in the varsity are yet to get the
benefits of old schemes. Showakat Hayat, who studies law in Kashmir
University, is yet to get the previous scholarship he had applied for
last year. “I had applied last year and till now we have not received
a single penny and now I’m applying for another one,” he says. “When
will I receive the aid? We even don’t get any information about
different programs and welfare schemes for the disabled students.”
Disabilities act of 1998 guaranties equal opportunities for the
disabled persons. But in Kashmir the law of equality remains confined
to the papers. To look after the grievances of the university
students, a special cell was created in the university campus in 2009.
There are about 150 disabled students in the Kashmir University.
Accepting some lacunas, Registrar Kashmir University Prof. Zafar Ahmad
Reshi says university does provide them scholarships on time like
universities Alumni scholarship. “The centrally sponsored scholarships
may take time because of the procedure,” he says. “We are working to
provide every possible facility to these students. We will be
installing audio books and Braille system for vision of disabled
students soon.”
Prof. Zafar says the university is considering providing internal
transport to the disabled students as the university is not in a
position to facilitate transport for them from their homes. “They are
welcome to approach my office for their grievances,” he says. “We have
already sanctioned books, talking books and required software for
different disabled students, and slowly it will be adopted by various
colleges.

--
Avinash Shahi
M.Phil Research Scholar