I'm eager to listen to Mariyam Cementwala one day in JNU. probably we
can plann a talk?
given her stature worth-calling on campus for learning from her experience.
http://newindianexpress.com/cities/hyderabad/Blindness-is-not-a-curse/2013/11/22/article1904368.ece

Political officer in the US embassy in New Delhi Mariyam Cementwala
arriving at Devnar Foundation for the Blind at Begumpet in Hyderabad
on Thursday for an interactive programme with students. (A Suresh
Kumar | EPS) “
Lack of sight is not all a curse, it is the enormous capacity within
us which can help us to achieve our goals,” said Mariyam Cementwala,
political officer at the US embassy in New Delhi, in an address to
visually challenged students at Devnar Foundation for the Blind here
on Thursday.

Cementwala, a visually challenged, is a foreign service officer in the
political unit of the US embassy and advises the US government on
strategic issues related to India.

“The rights of children, women and disabled are enshrined in the
Constitution and are legitimate. We should strive hard to use them in
real-time situations and prevent our visual impairment from becoming
an impediment,” she pointed out.

Highlighting that there are umpteen opportunities for everyone, she
said, “The situation of visually-impaired persons is not as bad as it
was previously. It has improved and one needs to grab the
opportunities emerging from them. Do not look towards the US or other
western countries for opportunities.”

Around 200 visually-challenged children in the age groups of 14 and 18
years participated in the programme. Despite being blind, Cementwala
is known for her participation in human rights movements
internationally. She is also known for her wide knowledge of social
and political landscape of India, and for her passion for languages.

--
Avinash Shahi
M.Phil Research Scholar