From: J L Kaul <aicbde...@yahoo.com>
Date: 22/11/2013 12:30 pm

Dear Friends,

It is a matter of satisfaction for us to share with you that owing to
some recent advocacy successes of AICB important pronouncements have
been made by the CCPD bringing smiles to more faces. In February this
year, AICB had filed a case against Jamia MilliaUniversity for an
absurd advertisement which was issued by this University. While it
pretended to reserve four vacancies for the visually impaired, three
of these vacancies were reserved in subjects which the blind do not
study in India, for instance, Physics, Civil Engineering as also
Bio-Chemistry. The attempt was obviously to show that the University
was complying with reservation under the PWD Act, but at the same
time, to ensure that no blind persons were appointed.

Owing to our persistence and strong arguments in this case, the CCPD,
who is always sensitive to issues relating to persons with
disabilities, in particular,those pertaining to visual impairment, has
recently quashed the said advertisement and has directed the
University to issue a fresh advertisement reserving vacancies in
subjects which are normally studied by blind persons. This will
provide job opportunities to a number of qualified persons.

2. While this issue was taken care of at the recruitment stage itself,
another employment related matter has been complied with by the
Respondents, the Indian Bank just yesterday. One visually impaired
person belonging to Tamil Nadu was denied appointment letter by the
Indian Bank despite the fact that he was selected. Reason? His
blindness. It was contended by the Bank that the Post of Probationary
Officer was not identified for the blind.

We took up this matter with the CCPD. In our petition, through various
arguments we proved that this post is actually deemed to be identified
for the blind.

The notice was issued by the CCPD and just yesterday, the Indian Bank
has issued an appointment letter to the concerned person, the only
earning member of his family.

While we continue in our efforts to fight against discrimination
against the visually impaired, we look forward to receiving more such
issues from you.

Dr. Anil K. Aneja.
Vice President and Chair, Advocacy,
AICB.