Some more addition on JAVA

*What is Java technology and why do I need it? *

Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun
Microsystems in 1995. There are lots of applications and websites that will
not work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day.
Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to datacenters, game
consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is
everywhere!

Java is, as of 2012, one of the most popular programming languages in use,
particularly for client-server web applications.

Major release versions of Java, along with their release dates:

JDK 1.0 (January 21, 1996)

JDK 1.1 (February 19, 1997)

J2SE 1.2 (December 8, 1998)

J2SE 1.3 (May 8, 2000)

J2SE 1.4 (February 6, 2002)

J2SE 5.0 (September 30, 2004)

Java SE 6 (December 11, 2006)

Java SE 7 (July 28, 2011)

*Is Java free to download?*

Yes, Java is free to download. Get the latest version at java.com.

*Why should I upgrade to the latest Java version?*

The latest Java version contains important enhancements to improve
performance, stability and security of the Java applications that run on
your machine. Installing this free update will ensure that your Java
applications continue to run safely and efficiently.

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*MORE TECHNICAL INFORMATION *

*What will I get when I download Java software?*

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is what you get when you download Java
software. The JRE consists of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), Java platform
core classes, and supporting Java platform libraries. The JRE is the
runtime portion of Java software, which is all you need to run it in your
Web browser. When you download Java software, you only get what you need -
no spyware, and no viruses.

*What is Java Plug-in software?*

The Java Plug-in software is a component of the Java Runtime Environment
(JRE). The JRE allows applets written in the Java programming language to
run inside various browsers. The Java Plug-in software is not a standalone
program and cannot be installed separately.

*I have heard the terms Java Virtual Machine and JVM. Is this Java
software?*

The Java Virtual Machine is only one aspect of Java software that is
involved in web interaction. The Java Virtual Machine is built right into
your Java software download, and helps run Java applications.

*Which Java package do I need?*

JDK: (Java Development Kit). For Java Developers. Includes a complete JRE
plus tools for developing, debugging, and monitoring Java applications.

Server JRE: (Server Java Runtime Environment) For deploying Java
applications on servers. Includes tools for JVM monitoring and tools
commonly required for server applications, but does not include browser
integration (the Java plug-in), auto-update, nor an installer. Learn more

JRE: (Java Runtime Environment). Covers most end-users needs. Contains
everything required to run Java applications on your system.

*One test method to check JAVA on your PC*

Go to cammand prompt -- RUN --> CMD -- TYPE java -version -- enter