guys, i dont know how old this piece of news is,
but i just received it from a friend. the point of forwarding this, is
just to inform u of what this lady has done, in order to make Karnatic
music more accessable to the blind.
this is for people who r not awair of ithis already.
read on.

MOMENTOUS Gayatri Sankaran receiving the Padma Shri from former President
of India A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Photo: Rajeev Bhatt
TOPICS
music <http://www.thehindu.com/topics/?categoryId=568>Carnatic
Classical<http://www.thehindu.com/topics/?categoryId=570>Music
Personalities <http://www.thehindu.com/topics/?categoryId=575>
people
<http://www.thehindu.com/topics/?categoryId=1158>accomplishment<http://www.thehindu.com/topics/?categoryId=1159>
Gayatri Sankaran has developed notations in Braille to make it easy for the
visually-challenged to learn Carnatic music

You just need to have a good ear for music. Isn't it?" asks Gayatri
Sankaran, a visually-impaired Carnatic vocalist who has developed notations
in Braille. "Loss of sight was never a handicap for me. I enjoyed my
soul-talk with tunes," she smiles. "Kurai onrum illai" former President of
India A.P.J. Abdul Kalam had said after Gayatri's concert at the
Rashtrapati Bhavan in which she rendered many of M.S. Subbulakshmi's
popular songs. "And nothing can sum up my life better," says Gayatri, who
was the first visually-impaired woman to be conferred the Padma Shri (in
2006).

It is while pursuing her Ph.D. (stylistic analysis of Kallidaikurichi
Vedantha Bhagvathar) that Gayatri realised how difficult it is for the
visually challenged to have access to kritis with notations. "It's
impossible to memorise all the notations. So we are always dependant on
someone to read them out. Hence I decided to start notating them in
Braille. A few basic segments of the Carnatic repertoire are available but
I wanted to take it further by including geethams, varnams and a few
kritis," points out the vocalist, who has been carrying out these exercises
in association with the National Institute for the Visually Handicapped.
"In fact, we are looking at coming up with notations for almost all popular
Carnatic kritis in Braille."

Gayatri took to learning music from her mother at an early age. An
impressed Rukmini Devi told her to join Kalakshetra for further training.
Gayatri went on to do her diploma and post-graduate diploma courses in
music at Kalakshetra. "The turning point of course, was the guidance I
received from the late violin wizard Lalgudi Jayaraman. He helped me
understand music in its entirety by looking beyond the ragas and
compositions to instil emotion into my singing."

An A-grade artiste at the All India Radio, Chennai, Gayatri has been
pursuing her passion for the art in a holistic way. "I want to raise more
awareness, particularly in rural areas, about the benefits the Government
offers to the visually challenged. It's very important for them to know the
opportunities available to them in various fields or even the support they
can get if they want to be self-employed," says Gayatri, who has been
making efforts to reach out particularly to visually challenged women.
"Safety is a big issue. Some times when they trust the wrong person it
could put them in a dangerous situation. I also guide them on how to be
more independent and go about their chores by themselves. The ability to
handle things on your own is the first step to gain self-confidence."

Gayatri is currently working on exploring the harikatha tradition as part
of the Senior Fellowship programme through the Ministry of Culture. "I want
to become a harikatha performer. Listening to discourses is my favourite
pastime. I find the epics, mythology and historical anecdotes fascinating.
Now that's what you call learning by ear," she smiles.

Time to meet up again!
Register for AccessIndia Convention 2014: