To add more to this, day before yesterday, at Hithro Airport in London
Malini Chib was frisked in an undignified manner.
I think growing greater threat to ssecurity worldwide and respecting
human dignity of persons with disabilities need greater sensitisation
world over.
On 2/25/14, Vikas Kapoor <dl.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> DU professor with disability harassed at Hyderabad airport
>

> NEW DELHI: Yet another disabled passenger was harassed at the airport on
> Friday. Satendra Singh, who was travelling from Hyderabad to Delhi, was
> asked by security at Hyderabad's Rajiv Gandhi International Airport to
> remove his leg brace during frisking. Singh, who teaches at the University
> College of Medical Sciences, Delhi University, has post-polio residual
> paralysis and uses a knee-foot-ankle-orthosis (KFAO) also called a caliper
> or brace, for support.
>
>  The confrontation with security officials - the latest in a string of such
> encounters between differently-abled passengers and airport officials -
> lasted about 20 minutes before the officials capitulated. "They wanted me to
> remove the caliper and run it through the x-ray machine," says Singh, "In my
> case that's quite difficult as it goes up to the thigh. I would've had to
> remove my trousers to take the caliper off. It was humiliating. I wanted
> them to carry out an Explosive Trace Detector (ETD) test and was willing to
> let them frisk me."
>
>  Singh, ironically, was returning from a conference on "Evidence in Global
> Disability & Health" in Hyderabad. Employees of the airline were also called
> but a senior officer finally permitted a ETD. Singh also had to explain that
> what he uses isn't a prosthetic limb but an orthosis into which he has to
> place his leg for support.
>
>  "We are merely implementing guidelines issued by the Bureau Civil Aviation
> Security (BCAS). Our officers have been trained and briefed on how to deal
> with differently-abled passengers and we make sure nobody is harassed
> unnecessarily," said Hemendra Kumar, spokesperson, CISF. Singh, however,
> adds that he flies within India frequently but has never had to face this
> before.
>
>  Aviation security officials say people with medical implants won't face any
> trouble and simply need to show a medial certificate. However, there is no
> standard rule for those with external aides and a doctor's certificate may
> not be enough to clear security.
>
>  "The screening officer has to be satisfied that the external aides are for
> genuine use. For this, profiling is done and if the screening officer is not
> satisfied, he or she may ask for the aides to be taken off and screened. In
> the 1980s, a Delhi-Srinagar flight was hijacked by a person who hid weapons
> inside his plaster and carried a doctor's certificate for the same to clear
> security. We cannot take chances as a medical certificate can be easily
> obtained. We regret the inconvenience caused to anyone," said an official.
>
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/DU-professor-with-disability-harassed-at-Hyderabad-airport/articleshow/30971043.cms
>
> Vikas Kapoor,
> Mobile: (+91) 9891098137
> Skype Id: dl_vikas

Avinash Shahi
M.Phil Research Scholar
Centre for The Study of Law and Governance
Jawaharlal Nehru University
New Delhi India