Q: Recently, I've started seeing an annoying information box every time I
start

my PC. Although it's clearly in Spanish or similar, my system and its
contents

are as English as I am. I assume it's probably to do with some download that
has

been removed, but can you let me know how to stop it appearing or track down

what it's associated with? I've scanned several times for viruses and
malware,

but found nothing.

Derek Cooper, mas...@blueyonder.co.uk

A: Languages other than English aren't a strong point at Shopper, but Google

Translate suggests that this is a Portuguese message along the lines of
'Invalid

object name: 'verification''. You're probably right that it relates to a
corrupt

or failed installation, or from an uninstallation that didn't complete

successfully. However, you clearly didn't choose to install something in

Portuguese; we assume you've checked that your anti-virus software is up to

date.

Unfortunately, we can't find any mention of that exact error message. We
suggest

that you download and install CCleaner from www.piriform.
com/ccleaner/download;

the free version will do for our purposes. Run the software once it's
installed,

then click the Registry icon at the left and click the 'Scan for Issues'
button.

Once that completes, leave the discovered issues ticked and click the 'Fix

selected issues ' button, then answer Yes when prompted to back up the
Registry

changes. Save the .reg file on the Desktop, or somewhere else you'll be able

find it if needed. With this done, click Fix All Selected Issues in the Fix

dialog box and wait for CCleaner to make the necessary changes.

This should remove the kind of problems left by a failed install or
uninstall,

such as Registry entries that no longer point to files, so in theory there's

good chance it should fix the problem. If not, run CCleaner again but this
time

click the Tools icon on the left, then Startup, and examine the list of

non-Windows services set to start when your computer boots. Use caution
here, as

it's likely that these are all legitimate services that you do want. If you
see

one that's in Portuguese, or that looks like it could be the culprit, select
it,

click Disable and see if the problem recurs when you restart.

Repeat the steps above to re-enable services; any you have disabled will
appear

in grey. Remember that you need to restart before any changes made can take

effect.

Do I need Win 8 for an SSD?

Q: I am looking to build my own PC and would like to include an SSD as the
boot

device with a mechanical disc for data storage. I have read your reviews of

SSDs, but have a fairly basic question: What if I want to use Windows 7
rather

than Windows 8? I understand Windows 8 is more 'aware' of SSDs, but will it

still be easy and straightforward to install Windows 7 on an SSD-based PC?

Sig Kasatkin, s...@sigkasatkin.com

A: Windows 7 will work very well on an SSD, and many of our PCs are still

configured as you're planning to build yours. Windows should detect the SSD

during the installation and configure itself appropriately. Microsoft
updated

SSD housekeeping with Windows 8, introducing an Optimize feature to the

scheduled drive management, which now states the media type of all the disks
in

the system to reassure users that the drive has been identified correctly.
We're

not aware that SSD performance or endurance is significantly higher under

Windows 8.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth won't play together

Q: For quite a while, I'd been experiencing conflicts between my Bluetooth

keyboard and wireless network. Most of the time it was fine, but whenever
one of

my computers was sending and receiving lots of network data - when backing
up,

for example - the mouse movements from the built-in trackpad would become

increasingly laggy, and sometimes the Bluetooth connection would break down

altogether.

I realised that a 5GHz network wouldn't have this problem, so I recently

upgraded to a dual-band router. All but one of my four PCs have dual-band
WiFi

cards, and the one which doesn't is rarely used. Two of the three that do
are

automatically connecting to the 5GHz network, but one remains stubbornly on
the

2.4GHz network, so the Bluetooth clash remains. Is there a simple way to
force

the third laptop to use the 5GHz network? I can't turn the 2.4GHz network
off,

as that would leave the fourth computer unable to connect at all.

Ted Lewis

A: You don't say, but from your description it sounds as though you've

configured your router's two wireless networks with the same SSID (name) and

password. In theory, this should allow client wireless adaptors to choose
the

band with the best signal, which may vary as you move the PCs around your
home.

It may be that the third PC is sticking with 2.4GHz as this is actually
offering

better performance; it's less affected by distance and obstacles than 5GHz

signals.

In your case this isn't ideal, however, due to competition with the
Bluetooth

keyboard.

Depending on the adaptor, you may be able to set its preferred frequency
band;

use the Start menu or screen to search for Network Connections and click
View

Network Connections in the results; you'll need to apply the Settings filter
in

Windows 8.

Right-click your wireless connection, choose Properties and click the
Configure

button under your wireless interface. In the Adaptor Properties dialog box,

click the Advanced tab and look for 'Preferred Band' or a similar option,
then

set its value to 5.2GHz and click OK to save the change. You can then try

rebooting the computer and seeing if it connects to the higher frequency

network.

If this doesn't work, or if the band option isn't available, you'll need to

access your router and change the 5.2GHz network to have a different SSID,
then

manually join each of the dual-band PCs to the new network. This should
place

the 5.2GHz network above the 2.4GHz network in Windows' order of preference,

causing the computer to connect to it if it's available, or fall back to the

2.4GHz network if it's not.

Blu-ray swap shop

Q: I am thinking of buying a new Blu-ray drive for my computer, but the one
I am

thinking of requires that the motherboard must be hot-swap compatible; I've
got

an Asus P8H61-M LE motherboard, and I'm not sure whether it is. Does this
also

mean that I have to change the SATA settings in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI,
and

that I must use RegEdit on the Windows Registry before Windows 8 will work
with

the Blu-ray drive?

Alec Neville, alecnevill...@gmail.com

A: We've never encountered a Blu-ray drive which demands that the
motherboard

must support hotswapping for regular use. However, some drives are

hot-swappable, and if you plan to use this feature you would need a
motherboard

or a third-party SATA interface that supports it. It's likely that this is
the

case with the drive you're considering, but we can't double-check without

knowing the exact model.

You shouldn't usually need to change your BIOS settings to get an optical
drive

to work, although to use hot-swapping you would have to ensure that the SATA

mode was set to AHCI. Similarly, you shouldn't need to edit the Registry,

although if you're hot-swapping you need to click the Safely Remove Hardware
and

Eject Media icon in the Notification Area and eject the drive before
unplugging

it. Unless you're building a server, though, it's unlikely that you'll need

hot-swap any of your drives. For an everyday PC, we'd recommend simply
powering

the computer down before making any hardware changes.

Missing DLL is causing me pain

Q: I have a PC running Windows 7 64-bit, which I keep up to date. A while
ago, a

strange error message began to pop up on the screen. It was something to the

effect that a program could not be run because MSCTF.DLL was missing. I've
tried

everything to get rid of this, but to no avail. Reinstalling the file from
the

Windows disc doesn't work, the system refuses to go back to any previous
restore

point, and cleaning the Registry doesn't help, either. A lot of programs now

won't install or uninstall and many services don't update any more,
including

the all-important Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

Much of the advice I've found on the internet about this subject seems
silly, or

hasn't solved the problem when I've tried it. I consider myself reasonably

computer-savvy, but I'm stuck here and I really don't want to have to
reformat

and reinstall everything. Please help!

Ayman SD, ayma...@outlook.com

A: We're not sure how the file got deleted on your computer, but when we

recreated the problem we couldn't boot into Windows at all. It sounds from
your

description as though you're able to get into Windows, which could make it
quite

easy to fix the problem. Search for CMD in the Start menu, right-click CMD
in

the results and select Run as Administrator, providing permission if
prompted.

At the command prompt, type 'SFC /SCANNOW' (without the quotes) and hit
Enter.

This utility should check the integrity of your system files, restoring any
that

are missing or corrupted - once finished, it should confirm if it detected
and

fixed the problem.

If that doesn't work, or if you can't run the command prompt, you'll need to
run

System File Checker from the Windows installation disc instead. Put your
Windows

DVD in your optical drive and restart your computer so that it boots from
the

DVD; you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS. When the install
program

loads, select the appropriate language and keyboard options and click Next.
On

the next screen, click 'Repair your computer', then wait for the installer

detect your Windows installation. Click Next, and on the following screen
click

Command Prompt.

The command prompt will start with the path 'X:\Sources>'. Your system
disk

will probably be allocated to D: within the recovery environment. Verify
this by

typing 'd:', hitting Enter and checking that the prompt changes to D:\>.
Then

type 'cd Windows\ system32' and hit Enter. You should see the prompt

D:\Windows\system32>, which is the folder in which MSCTF.DLL would
normally

be located. Type 'sfc /scanfile=d:\windows\ system32\msctf.dll
/OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /

OFFWINDIR=d:\windows' and hit Enter.

After a second or so, you should see the message that corrupt files were

detected and successfully repaired. At this stage, you can verify that the
file

has been restored by typing 'dir msctf.dll' and hitting Enter. You should
see a

single instance of MSCTF.DLL listed.

Type 'Exit' and hit Enter to quit the command prompt, then click the Restart

button and reboot into Windows as normal. Hopefully, the problem will now be

fixed.

Why is Nexus 4 a prude?

Q: I'm very happy with my Nexus 4 Android phone, but it's an awful prude
when it

comes to letting me express myself properly.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to channel my inner Gordon Ramsay and let rip, but

swear words never appear among Google Keyboard's suggestions. I can tap them
in

manually, though, and when I do they don't appear with a red underline, so I

know that they're already in the dictionary. Is there any way to stop the
phone

cleaning up my act?

A: Swearing isn't big or clever, but even a four-letter word is slow to type
if

you have to do it manually each time. The option you need was introduced
with

Android 4.2, and your phone should have updated to 4.3 by now. Drag the
Android

status bar down and tap the settings icon at the top right. Tap Settings,
scroll

down and tap Language & input, then tap the settings icon to the right of
Google

Keyboard. Scroll down again, tap Block offensive words, make sure the tick

disappears, then tap 'Back to the home page'. You're now uncensored: just
don't

type anything you'll regret.