Continuing our study on assistive technology for people with visual
impairment BarrierBreak has realized that people with low vision very often
face issues while reading from printed material in day to day circumstances
such as reading from letters and documents in office, reading a newspaper at
home, reading a menu at a coffee shop etc. BarrierBreak provides a wide
range of portable magnifiers that can help a person with low vision read
anything and anywhere. Providing them the right kind of technology can
assist them in their personal as well their professional life.

The Case

BarrierBreak was approached by a practicing dermatologist (name withheld)
who had a low vision due to retinitis pigmentosa. She is a renowned doctor
in her locality and has her own clinic.

While consulting her patients she has to read reports, prescriptions, and
prints on the medicine bottles or covers. She also has to read a lot from
her medical reference books. It was very difficult for her and she had to
majorly depend on her assistant to help her out in these situations.

At home she faced difficulties while reading from newspapers, magazines and
novels. As a result of all these issues, she had to limit her reading
fantasy as prolonged reading would cause strain to her eyes.

Reading numbers and messages from contacts on her mobile phone was also a
challenge and sometimes she would find herself talking to or messaging some
other person instead of the one she intended to. She wanted a solution to
her reading problems so that she did not have to depend on others.

Solution & Impact

When she consulted BarrierBreak, we suggested her to use a portable video
magnifier for her reading purposes. She started using the Optelec Compact
Mini a pocket sized electronic video magnifier with 3.5inch full color TFT
display.

She could read her documents with up to 11X magnification and had the option
to view print in any of the four high-contrast color modes other than the
normal. She uses Compact Mini to read letters, prescriptions, books,
newspapers and almost anything she could find. And since it was portable she
would carry it along and never found any difficulty in reading restaurant
menus, sign a cheque etc.

She has been using the Compact Mini since 2 years and is very comfortable
while accessing contact numbers and reading messages from her mobile phone.
When BarrierBreak introduced her to the Compact 7 HD - first high definition
handheld video magnifier, she decided to try the same.

She was excited with the Compact 7 HD which allows her to instantly start
reading with the press of a button and has been using the same since 1 year.
The Compact 7 HD offers a high definition magnifier with a large screen,
offering better overview and more words per line than any other portable
magnifier. With an adjustable magnification up to 24 times, the device
allows her to see the smallest details of photos, words or objects on the
ergonomically positioned, high brightness 7-inch widescreen.

On asking her views on the Compact Mini and the Compact 7 HD she says "These
portable devices have changed my life completely. The Compact Mini came into
my life as a boon and the Compact 7 HD has its own added advantages. These
devices have given me the independence to read anything, anywhere I wish to,
without depending on anyone else."

About Optelec Compact Mini

The Compact mini is the smallest and lightest video magnifier offered by
Optelec, designed as a simple and effective, high contrast alternative to a
traditional optical magnifier. The camera is centrally located, so
positioning the Compact mini over reading material is easy and intuitive.
The Compact mini delivers the convenience which is expected of a modern,
pocket-size solution.
Know
<http://barrierbreak.com/assistive-technology/visual-impairment/portable-mag
nifier/compact-mini.html>  more about Optelec Compact Mini

About Optelec Compact 7 HD

Optelec Compact 7 HD integrates the largest screen available in the Optelec
Compact product family; still it is attractive, small and portable. The high
contrast widescreen provides an increased field of view and the ability to
see even more of the material compared to traditional portable magnifiers.
Reading newspapers, letters or viewing photos anywhere at home, in the
office, at school or while traveling is easier than ever.
Know
<http://barrierbreak.com/assistive-technology/visual-impairment/portable-mag
nifier/optelec-compact-7-hd.html>  more about Optelec Compact 7 HD

About BarrierBreak

BarrierBreak is an Accessibility and Assistive Technology firm in India.
BarrierBreak, a brand of Net Systems Informatics (I) Private Limited is the
pioneer of Accessibility and Assistive Technology in India and the first
company to set up an Accessibility lab as well. Our teams are aligned with
our vision and mission to help our clients to provide accessible solutions.
Know more  <http://barrierbreak.com>