Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Help needed from friends in Gujarat for an article

Hi Avinash,
I really dont have an answer to what you need to know but I have some observations to make: 1. No government can really make a difference for the better unless we raise our voices asking for improvement. Compared to other parts of India-Gujrat seems to be quieter in the last 10 years. So was this calm because it was a great State or because we didnt agitate enough I cant say. Your article will reflect this though my personal bet is that the Disabled did not agitate much nor did the NGOs look at the problems of identification, backlog, promotions etc. I could be wrong and I will be happy to be corrected.

2. Bhaskar Mehta a blind person was the State Commissioner for part of these 10 years. This was much before Mr. Pincha took charge in Delhi. I guess one plus point for the Mody government.

3. I have heard but I cannot confirm this -Mr. Mody used to be a volunteer at BPA and used to read to theVI long before he became a person of prominance. If true then he has some knowledge of the problems. 4. The assistant teachers problem has existed in many states and the High Courts have been hearing these matters across the country. I can recall the same problem in Karnataka, West Bengal and Gujrat. This is the agitation you are referring to. 5. If I compare the information I have from Gujrat and the work in Maharashtra then I would say that we in maharashtra are in constant battle- agitation, court cases, representations etc. I do not see this in Gujrat and many other states.

6. Has Mr. Mody's government given us good footpaths, good ramps and pedistrian crossings on those great roads that we hear of?

7. If you really want to do this article you will have to speak with some of our list members who will have an opinion but wont bother to write. Also you will have to speak with the 2 big NGOs of Ahmedabad -BPA and Sense International.Then to get the realistic picture many more will have to be identified. 8. Sometimes we forget in the Rights based approach that the Charity model has also helped. NGOs get some funds from the State. If these funds are not released on time then the NGOs cannot render services and the beneficiaries do not get training, education etc. therefore it is not only the CM but the minister in charge and the bureaucrats of the social justice ministry, the Commissioner, the Judges etc who determine the fate of the disabled of the State.

9. There are some instances from Gujrat of the Disabled having difficulties withboarding trains and other transport. These must be blamed on the government but on which government? Has anything been done after these incidents or are these never going to be repeated again! 10. If you are thinking of what to expect at the Centre in case Mr. Mody becomes PM, then be rest assured it wont be any different from the current government.We have won many battles because we agitated, wrote letters, fought in court, made a public noise and did everything advocacy teaches us. We have also done some of this work with the current Oppposition so they are also quite aware and will hopefully take off without much prodding,agitation and representation.Whoever becomes PM and whoever becomes the Social Justice Minister please dont expect miracles or a bad showing. We will learn to live with the new government and we will learn to press the right buttons.
Best of luck I would love to read your article.

Kanchan Pamnani
Advocate & Solicitor
9, Suleman Chambers,
Battery Street, Colaba,
Mumbai - 400 039.

----- Original Message ----- From: "avinash shahi" <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> To: "AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerningthe disabled." <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:36 PM

Listen gentlemen there's something called Oral history and oral testomony.
I have talked to people I have with me Gujarat High Court's judgment
and news clip where five blind sat on fast when they were  not getting
appointed as an assisstant teachers in the state.
Poor Indians can speak but are deprived of education and writing
skills; it doesn't mean we discount their oral revelations.
If you can't provide documents of improvement in the lives of disabled
there, better refrain from intervention and don't attempt to turn the
discourse from its original objective.