Hi Nikita,
Indeed deep frying is the trickiest part of cooking without sight. There are
a few things I apply when trying it:
Whenever you decide to fry, use a larger, deeper kadhai with ebonite
handles. This does two things. it is easier to handle with hot oil in it and
avoids splashing over which can be a calamity on it's own. So when you try
putting in a puri, ensure you have heated the oil sufficiently and very
slowly lower the puri into the oil. Almost sliding it in.watch those fingers
going in as well.
Managing heat is essential in frying as well. That is what will make the
difference between frying well and leaving something kacha. Use a larger
jhara for frying. This will assist in being able to scoop up whatever is in
the oil.usually once something goes into the oil, the heat should be reduced
to allow the food item in there to cook.  Bring out one piece, and pierce
with a fork to check how well it is cooked.
Bhajiyas are tricky because they will stick to each other and separating
them is difficult.smaller quantities going into the oil might be a good idea
there.
As for picking the item out and draining the oil, the large jhara will help
in picking it up and keep it tucked onto the side of the kadhai for a bit.
Bring it out onto either newspaper or kitchen aper towels to drain further.
I have seen people drain it out on a sieve so the oil that drains doesn't go
to waste. They simply reuse it in another preparation.

There are domestic electric deep fat fryers available as well. I have seen
them at Home Stop. These are cylindrical or square shaped with a deep sieve
kind basket which holds the frying material in it. This submerges into the
oil.  You need to fill a certain quantity of oil and put the electrical
heating on. There is optimum time control through a thermostat for the oil
so nothing burns. But, here the oil keeps heating and that could lead to
rancid oil sooner. But, it might be an idea to look at one just for
understanding it. It is the safest way to go for us.

As for getting together and talking more on food and the fun of cooking, it
is a great idea and I am all for it. I am on this very mail id if you need
anything.

Hope some of what I've said helps.

Payal