Dear Vashisht sir,

The district SP, as being quoted in the article, was talking about
sacking the inspector only if he doesn't nab the accused.  This meant
there wouldn't be any sacking if he nabs the accused.  More
importantly, the article doesn't speak any action against the
inspector for his refusal to lodge the complaint.  So, whatever little
the law has for such negligent public authorities hasn't been invoked
even in a case as terrible as this.

On 7/13/14, Avichal Bhatnagar <coolavic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Avinash, if possible, kindly keep us updated on this issue
>
> On 7/13/14, subhashvashis...@gmail.com <subhashvashis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Vamshi, Sadly the law doesn't allow harsher punishments than sacking to
>> those policemen who refuse to write reports. In most cases, when reported
>> or
>> highlighted,  the officer is suspended pending inquiry and when the dust
>> settles, reinstated quietly with lighter punishments.
>>
>> The attitude of policemen and society in general to take sexual
>> harassment
>> and assault cases against women lightly doesn't allow proper
>> investigations
>> to happen with the required seriousness. And when the survivor or
>> complainant is from a marginalised community or poor, it is most certain
>> that policemen tend to turn them away or press for compromise between the
>> parties as if it was just an ordinary matter of financial transaction!
>> This
>> is most likely to happen if the incident has happened in a rural area!
>>
>> The sexual violence against women must receive the seriousness it
>> deserves
>> if we want a safe and caring society for all.
>>
>> Regards
>> Subhash Chandra Vashishth
>> Advocate
>>
>> Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone