From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of avinash shahi
Sent: 04 August 2014 19:26
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning
the disabled.
Subject: Re: [AI] I am not your inspiration- Stella Young on
deglorifyingdisability!

Nidhi, the last paragraph of your write-up is very thought-provoking.
However, we should not forget the fact that many of the persons with
disabilities in the world are actually earning their living by giving
inspirational and motivational talks on ways to "overcome disability."
this provides them an opportunity to not only travel widely across the
continents; but their speeches/jestures/actions in sign language play
an important role in creating more receptive society for persons with
disabilities.
On 8/4/14, nidhi goyal <nidhigoyal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all
> it was interesting to  hear Stella's  talk.
> she has highlighted a much needed point of disability is not an exception
> and of course the way it is used to portray inspiration. the girl without
> the hands is objectified to inspire and push the child who perhaps has
both
> hands but not the  patience or temprament to paint or write his lessons
> etc.
> in this process the child is subconsciously given the message that he is
> not
> only lucky but also superior to the other girl in a fashion.
>
> I too ascribe to the social model of disability defined by Mike Oliver
> which says that it is not the disability itself but the environment which
> is
> disabling the individuals with an impairment. with hostile
infrastructure,
> constant struggle for basics like education etc, the nondisabled world
> makes
> simple usual things  in a life an achievement and the hell they are...
but
> rather than them lauding  us and our everyday struggle they should be
> ashamed of the disabling conditions they dish out.  i would like to share
> an
> example here. when i topped the postgraduate media  course the head of my
> department told everyone with great pride that i had topped and you know
> what without any extra favours from them. the favours she referred to was
> simple accommodations like accessible study material etc. they had
> practically made my life hell with their non cooperation and they were
> proud
> of me overcoming all those challenges. well kudos to me for facing the
> challenges but shame on them for their behaviour. so the point is that
> sometimes we are forced to combat ordinary situations which are made into
> extra ordinary hurdles and then made out to be exceptions having achieved
> the ability to live life, learn, work, grow.
> on the other hand if we were to consider the disabled and the nondisabled
> world  together, whoever has achieved something should be appreciated
> irrespective of their disability. so when a politician, a CEO of a MNC, a
> sports person etc can be my inspiration, i do not know why a disabled
> person
> who has achieved something in life should not be marked as an
inspiration!
> the only difference is these people will be looked up to and definitely
not
> with the condescending idea with which the girl without hands was being
> considered.
>
> lastly,  something i have noticed happening in reality- we as disabled
> people sometimes live in a dualism. We want to be the norm but at the
first
> chance of receiving special treatment, or a word of praise, or the title
of
> an inspiration or a celebratory award, we jump like school children do on
> free ice cream. Like Stella said it is for us to decide if we really have
> achieved something or are we being complimented for existing and
> remembering
> our name. if latter is the case and we allow this to happen simply
because
> we love the attention and awards etc, then we would play a major role in
> perpetuating a deeply embedded discriminatory attitude. so it is not all
> about them changing, it is about us mending our ways as well.
>
> Just my thoughts, thanks for reading.
> Regards,
> Nidhi Goyal
> disability and gender rights activist
> MSC Development Studies, LSE
> twitter @saysnidhigoyal

Behalf
> Of payal
> Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 4:34 PM
> To: 'AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and
issuesconcerning
> the disabled.'
> Subject: Re: [AI] I am not your inspiration- Stella Young on
> deglorifyingdisability!
>
> Yes Avinash. Often it is the easiest thing to do. give them a consolation
> prize of being right up there, an ispiration and then grumble about the
> idol
> having feet of clay.
> If only they could just accept us for who we are, life would be a better
> place for all of us!  This video was fantastic!

dia.org.in

please

the

mails