"* Higher interest rates, similar to the benefit for senior citizens
on fixed deposits, and long-term investment instruments."

This is a business initiative of commercial banks, and not a
government policy.  So, if our business is attractive, banks will
extend the same to us.  If if we want it as a government policy, let
us not compare ourselves with senior citizens.

"* Rehabilitation insurance to cover all expenses (medical, assistive
technologies, therapy, etc.) of daily life"

If this is for a person before becoming disabled, it should be fine as
it would be a disability insurance kind of a thing.  If it is an
insurance for disabled, then I don't think any insurance company will
come forward to do it.  Insurance is not for covering known risks.
Once a person becomes disabled, he/she is sure to use all the benefits
covered in the insurance.  It is not at all feasible as a business
model.

I may be corrected if I haven't interpreted something in the above
article in its right sense.

On 8/15/14, avinash shahi <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> institutes for the disabled -- the Centre for Disability Sports, a
> state-of-the-art sporting facility that would cater exclusively for
> para-athletes, and the National Institute of Inclusive and Universal
> Design, the first such institute to design barrier-free tools for the
> community.
>
> "These proposals have been pushed by us over the years and it is now
> that the government is taking steps to build these institutes. Along
> with the PWD law, these are going to revolutionise the lives of people
> with disabilities," says Abidi.
>
> Among the other promises from this government are:
>
> * Printing of special currency notes with Braille-like signs for the
> visually challenged
>
> * Four new AIIMS for the grossly neglected healthcare sector
>
> * Establishing 15 new Braille presses and revival of 10 existing ones
>
> * Extension of the scheme to assist the disabled to purchase aids and
> appliances
>
> Many like rights activist Amba Salelkar believe that the "real
> tangible" momentum for the disability movement came not from activists
> but from people with disabilities who contributed their time to the
> cause.
>
> "Our success has been that in the last year we have been able to draw
> out the common man from the community to participate in and contribute
> to the movement. They might not be activists, but they have taken part
> in consultations, written emails and encouraged others like them over
> the Internet. The movement really gained by the participation of these
> people," says Salelkar.
>
> Looking ahead
>
> "I would like this government to enable me to go anywhere I choose to
> go without thinking about inaccessible buildings and barriers for my
> wheelchair," says Paralympic Deepa Malik, who is on the committee that
> is drawing the blueprint for the sport centre for the disabled.
>
> Disability rights activists, however, want much more and in concrete
> terms. Their demands include:
>
> * Higher interest rates, similar to the benefit for senior citizens on
> fixed deposits, and long-term investment instruments
>
> * Free education for people with disability up to SSC in all schools
>
> * Spinal injury rehabilitation units at all public hospitals
>
> * Rehabilitation insurance to cover all expenses (medical, assistive
> technologies, therapy, etc.) of daily life
>
> * Access tax of 2 per cent on corporations for 10 years to make the
> public infrastructure in the country barrier-free and accessible to
> people with disabilities
>
> * Railway budget should include allocations to make platforms,
> stations and compartments disabled-friendly
>
> * 100 per cent FDI in manufacturing of products and assistive
> technologies for the disabled.
>

> --
> Avinash Shahi
> Doctoral student at Centre for Law and Governance JNU

G. Vamshi
Mobile: +91 9949349497
Skype: gvamshi81

www.retinaindia.org