Great work NFB: I hope younger brother Aashish survives. Interestingly
for the first time I've read lady spokesperson of NFB? positive
development indeed!
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-newdelhi/blind-boy-critical-after-falling-from-hostel-terrace/article6345985.ece
Ashish Mehra, a first-year Political Science (H) student at Ramjas
College and resident of Sewa Kutir is fighting for life at the Saket
City Hospital.

Ashish fell 'head-first' from the terrace of a double-storied building
of Sewa Kutir - a hostel for visually-challenged students at Kingsway
Camp run by the Department of Social Welfare - at around 1 a.m. on
August 9.

"No hostel officials were present when this incident happened. Some of
the blind students called an ambulance and accompanied Ashish to the
government trauma centre at ISBT. Ashish remained there till around 7
p.m. after which members of the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), who were informed about this accident, tried to shift him to a
better medical facility in the city," said NFB national executive
council member Kusumlata Malik.

Foundation members contacted the office of the Commissioner for
Persons With Disabilities who then tried to get help of senior
officials of the State and Central Government for shifting to get
Ashish to a government medical centre.

"With no positive response from AIIMS, the boy was rushed to Max
Hospital where he was operated for the extensive head injury and later
shifted to Saket City Hospital. The boy is now said to be critical but
responding to treatment. The NFB has already paid over Rs.5 lakh
towards the treatment of the boy," added Ms. Malik.

The NFB now has demanded to know why the Sewa Kutir had no medical
facility on the premises and why there were not enough personnel to
manage emergencies. "We would want to know about the accountability of
the Department of Social Welfare and its officials and why the
inadequate facilities at the government trauma centre for life saving
emergencies are not being improved. We are saddened by the fact that a
blind young boy is not given proper treatment at government-run
facilities," said Ms. Malik.

NFB questions lack of staff at hostel for the blind, and inadequate
facilities at govt. trauma centre

--
Avinash Shahi