5 Reasons why you need Twitter if you're blind or partially sighted

Source:
http://www.rnib.org.uk/5-reasons-you-need-twitter-if-youre-blind-or-partiall
y-sighted?utm_campaign=blog_techshare_social
<http://www.rnib.org.uk/5-reasons-you-need-twitter-if-youre-blind-or-partial
ly-sighted?utm_campaign=blog_techshare_social&utm_medium=social_media&utm_so
urce=twitter> &utm_medium=social_media&utm_source=twitter

Social media is doing more than simply bringing disabled communities
together. We discover why Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are must-haves for
anyone with sight loss

If you thought communicating in 140 characters was a fad for the fickle,
think again. We all need to embrace social media if we want to keep up with
news, friends and career opportunities, says Paul Springer, author of
Pioneers of Digital <http://www.pioneersofdigital.com/> . Putting some
accessibility issues aside (for now), we look at the benefits of Twitter
<https://twitter.com/RNIB> , Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/rnibuk>  and
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/company/rnib>  for people who are blind
and partially sighted.

1. Connect over hobbies, not your disability

Whether it's your addiction to The Great British Bake Off or love of cats in
costumes, 'Twitter allows you to bond with like-minded people over hobbies
and interests, rather than just your disability,' says Springer. 'You can
meet people like you, but your disability isn't the focus.'

2. Share news, accessibly

Getting hold of accessible, large print and braille formats of magazines and
newspapers
<http://www.rnib.org.uk/information-everyday-living-reading-what-read/newspa
pers-and-magazines>  used to be a long, drawn-out process. Now, with the
help of news feeds, you can read stories using readers or magnifiers at the
click of a button as soon as news hits the press.

3. Fight for a cause

Three words: Ice Bucket Challenge. Social media can be an incredible source
for raising awareness for a campaign. 'Research shows that political or
charitable causes have the biggest impact of all,' says Springer. So if you
feel strongly about a movement, social media is a pretty effective way to
shout about it.

4. Keep up with technology

>From Smart Glasses <http://www.rnib.org.uk/future-smart-glasses>  to
FingerReaders
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/08/fingerreader-read-blind-mit_n_5565
898.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000046> , assistive technology is developing
all the time and most of the latest information can be found being shared
virally via online networks. Joining technology communities means you're in
the know and it could make a difference to your everyday life.

5. Improve your employability

The clue's in the name, social networking is a great way of meeting
potential employers and increasing your employability
<http://www.rnib.org.uk/young-people/starting-work> . What's more, you can
network on a level playing field. Needless to say, get yourself on LinkedIn,
market your skills and start harnessing the power of social.

Paul Springer will be speaking at our technology accessibility event in
Glasgow, Scotland. For tickets or more information, go to our Techshare
<http://www.rnib.org.uk/techshare-europe-2014>  page.