An image with distorted text on it is just one of the ways of implementing
CAPTCHA. This is very popular primarily because it is independent of user
specific data and also has become easy to implement due to readily available
image generation API to developers. Some of the better accessible
alternatives that can be adopted and implemented include:

1. Mobile/Email OTP or a combination of both
2. Random easy-to-solve mathematical or logical quiz
3. Login activity to be a 2 step process like HDFC bank's netbanking site
where user enters User ID in the first step and in the second step the site
displays site provided fetched data for user identification which the user
has to agree and enter login password to successfully login.

Option 1 depends on availability of user data with the site and is
error-prone if changed whereas options 2 and 3 are independent of user data.

Also, solving CAPTCHA can be made unrequired like LinkedIn where it is
required only after 2 unsuccessful login attempts. Users entering correct
credentials are not burdened with solving CAPTCHA.

List members using various sites may have come across more alternatives to
inaccessible image-based CAPTCHA (other than audio-based) which they can
share for making a better presentation to the authorities.

It is also a valid suggestion to enhance the OCR to recognize image-based
CAPTCHA if the site hasn't implemented any other mechanism, not sure of the
technical challenges that may come up in doing so and the rate of success it
can achieve.

Best Regards,
Zujar..