Blind Students: An Alternate Perspective of Life in DU

http://www.universityexpress.co.in/delhiuniversity/2014/08/blind-students-alternate-perspective-life-du/

by Anuraag Gupta ยท August 24, 2014

Hellen Keller, born in 1880, was an author, political activist and a
lecturer. Even decades after her death there are innumerable honours
showered on her. Her birthday, on June 27 is commemorated as Helen
Keller Day in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, there are stamps issued
in her honour, and there are streets and hospitals named after her.
Christine Ha, American chef and writer, is the winner of the 3rd
season of Masterchef USA. Also, she is also the host of a cooking
television show Four Senses and also writes for various magazines.
What do they have common?
They both achieved everything in their life without the gift of sight,
and they act as ideal examples for millions of such people out there.

DU has its own share of visually challenged students, but the question
is whether the facilities are up to the mark. A reservation policy
which is not followed by an apt system of devoted facilities is null.
For example, in the University of Washington a student who is blind
will type written assignments using a computer that is equipped with
speech output & may be given up to double the time that is allotted
sighted peers.
Today, we dissect the conditions of blind students that prevail in DU.

Equal Opportunity is a distant dream."

This was what a blind gentleman one had the pleasure of speaking to on
a rickshaw ride had to say. "Change needs sensitization programs.
Until people become sensitive, nothing can improve."

Avichal is a 2nd year student of English at Ramjas College. Lauded by
his professors and peers alike for being exceptionally bright, his
visual impairment has certainly not clouded his vision for himself as
he is one of the most able students in his class.
He says, "When I came to DU, I was told that there are facilities for
the differently abled such as the Equal Opportunity Cell. However,
during the admission process last year, I found that there were no
special helpdesk for the differently abled, despite a provision that
every college must have one. Fortunately, I got a lot of co-operation
from my department. Teachers allowed me to record their lectures
without hesitation and provided soft copies of any material they had.
My experience with the department has been good, but I am dissatisfied
with treatment given by authorities. There is no enabling unit though
every college is supposed to have one."
 Also, upon further interviews it was noticed that while authorities
did dole out free pen drives to these students, they could be more
active in the implementation of concrete solutions laid down by the
concerned students. A Braille notice board in the college and
improvement in infrastructure were some basic requirements. Though the
suggestions were not outright rejected, they were postponed in a show
of 'typical government officer' behaviour.
Problems for the differently abled range from daily commuting to
dogs(which are permanent residents on every college campus) getting in
their way and being accidentally kicked, which puts them into a rage
causing the unfortunate perpetrator to be bitten.
In Janki Devi Memorial College, a visually impaired student remarked
though they get cassettes from the Arts Faculty, they would prefer
Braille books along with them. Their fee is almost nil and they get
free food from their canteen, but the bus services are terrible. They
also say that the behaviour they were subject to at the hands of their
fellow students was awful at times.
This is what Ms. Renu Gupta of Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of
Commerce had to say on the issue "The conditions have improved over
the past 4 years because of the work of the students and NGO's.
Earlier the enabling units were almost non-existent, but now they are
really active, at least in our college. I am the head of the enabling
unit and proud to say that every member in the unit is given really
good treatment."
"Some things have improved. But a lot more has to be done. You can't
just improve one thing a year. This way, if hundred things are to be
improved, it'll take a hundred years!" says Avichal.
Also, according to the professor from SGGS, an effective way to
improve facilities would be to promote E-texts (basically, words to
sound conversion using a computer) even further. While Braille texts
are helpful during the primary stages, it is more efficient to have
E-texts at higher levels.
It would also be erroneous to ignore the efforts put in by Satyawati
College, which is praised for its efforts in this direction not just
by one but many sources. From a supportive principal to inclusive
competitions, where teams comprise of one abled and one differently
abled, Satyawati College has set an inspiring example.
Commuting is a hurdle which the Delhi metro has improved, but there is
still major scope in other modes of transport. A visually impaired
person can ask the Delhi Metro for assistance and will receive help in
being taken to the platform and into the first compartment of a train.
Despite this, it's not uncommon to see the differently abled wandering
a platform alone and not one person stopping to help.
While problems are aplenty, solutions and people actively seeking to
counter them are relatively scarce. "Usually people just feel sorry
for people with disabilities and show pity, which in my opinion is not
the way to go about this at all!" says Dhruv from Ramjas.
Isn't the need of the hour to come up with concrete, practical
solutions to this decades old problem?
What do YOU think can be done to improve the state of things for the
differently abled in DU?
Share with us!
(A huge thanks to Ms. Renu Gupta and Avichal Bhatnagar for sharing
their thoughts and experiences with us!)

--
Avichal bhatnagar