Hi Members,
Being the founder of Quick Call, I am compelled to share this with you all
after seeing yesterdays newspaper report.

Quite often, I have been asked this question: Why have you started this
free information helpline, Quick Call, in this age of 3G and smartphones ?
Even when I launched this helpline on Access India, a lot of people had
similar apprehensions.
Being in cities, surrounded by techies at work and home we often mistake
the rest of India to be like us.

The rationale behind Quick Call has been covered in this study published in
Times of India.

You may find it difficult to believe, we get calls from places in India
where a recharge coupon often takes 10 days to deliver after advance
payment.

Though internet has reached only 15% of India but mobile phone penetration
is around 110%.

This combination of 15% internet and 110% mobiles is the genesis of Quick
Call.
To empower every citizen of India with internet or information on call is
the sole objective of Quick Call  aka 1800-2000-215.

For the information of members, I have shared below the major points from
the report published. Complete report is available at:

*http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/85-of-Indians-are-offline-Study/articleshow/44043170.cms
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/85-of-Indians-are-offline-Study/articleshow/44043170.cms>*

Thanks
Neeraj
Quick Call

NEW DELHI: India ranks 20 in a list of 25 countries on the "Internet
Barriers Index
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Internet-Barriers-Index>"
identified by a study from McKinsey & Company and internet.org, a
Facebook-promoted project to bring more people online. A low rank on the
index indicates high barriers.
The countries were ranked on the index on the basis of their scores on four
kinds of barriers: incentives, low incomes and affordability, user
capability, and infrastructure.

The study found that the key demographic features of the offline population
in India - pegged at 85% - were illiteracy, low income, and a rural
location. "India's non-Internet user population is overwhelmingly rural
(73%), and a high proportion is illiterate (43%) and female (54%)," the
report said.

The report finds that while India performs well on the affordability front,
it has room for improvement. "The average absolute price for data downloads
and smartphones (for India) are among the lowest of the countries
researched in this report. However, a closer look at India's consumer
economic profile uncovers tremendous challenges due to low incomes," said
the report that has chiefly gathered its India data, inter alia, from World
Bank reports and those from the Internet and Mobile Association of India
(IAMAI) and IMRB International's 2013 report Internet in India.

Literacy was identified as another major barrier. "Given that literacy is a
prerequisite for being able to participate fully in society—including the
action of getting online—a low literacy rate is a major impediment to
increasing Internet penetration," said the report that pegs the world's
offline population at 4.4 billion. Around 3.4 billion or 75% of these, it
says, live in just 20 countries, while 920 million of those 3.4 billion are
illiterate.