Welfare minister apologises for disability pay comments

Welfare minister Lord Freud has apologised for "foolish and offensive" remarks
in which he suggested people with disabilities could be paid less than the
minimum wage.

Labour has called on the Conservative peer to resign after he said some workers
were "not worth the full wage".

David Cameron distanced himself from the comments, saying they "were not the
views of anyone in government".

Lord Freud said he was "profoundly sorry" and supported the minimum wage.

The row dominated the first Prime Minister's Questions after the conference
recess, with Ed Miliband saying the comments demonstrated the Conservatives'
"worst instincts".

Ed Miliband asked the prime minister about the future of a welfare minister

In response, the prime minister said he "did not need lectures from anybody
about looking after disabled people" and urged the Labour leader not "to cast
aspersions".

Lord Freud's comments came during a fringe meeting at the Conservative
conference last month when he was asked whether it was preferable for someone
with a disability, who could not get a job, to be paid less than the minimum
wage - and to have their income topped up with benefits - in order to give them
the experience of work and boost their self esteem.

'£2 an hour'

reportedly said there "was no system for going below the minimum wage".

But he added: "Now, there is a small. there is a group, and I know exactly who
you mean, where actually as you say they're not worth the full wage and
actually I'm going to go and think about that particular issue, whether there
is something we can do nationally, and without distorting the whole thing,
which actually if someone wants to work for £2 an hour, and it's working can we
actually."

Esther McVey on Lord Freud comments: "These words will haunt him"

Labour circulated a transcript of remarks and a partial recording, just before
PM's questions began.

Raising the issue in Parliament, Mr Miliband said: "These are not the words of
someone who ought to be in charge of policy relating to the welfare of disabled
people.

"Surely someone holding those views can't possibly stay in his government?"

'Thinking aloud'

But Mr Cameron said these were not the views of the government.

"We pay the minimum wage, we are reforming disability benefits, we want to help
disabled people in our country and we want to help more of them into work. And
instead of casting aspersions, why does he not get back to talking about the
economy."

In a statement Lord Freud, a former banker who has been a minister in the
Department for Work and Pensions since 2010, offered a "full and unreserved
apology".

"I was foolish to accept the premise of the question," he said.

"To be clear, all disabled people should be paid at least the minimum wage,
without exception, and I accept that it is offensive to suggest anything else."

Lord Freud said he "cared passionately" about disabled people and was proud "to
have played a full part in a government that is fully committed to helping
disabled people overcome the many barriers they face in finding employment".

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said it was important to understand
the context of the conversation and that Lord Freud was not arguing for a new
policy of routinely paying people less than the minimum wage.

He said one interpretation of Lord Freud's comments was that he was "thinking
aloud" but suggestions that the minimum wage could be undercut would seem
"heartless" and come back to "haunt him".

Analysis: By Damon Rose, Ouch!

Unemployment for disabled people has remained stubbornly around 50% for over
twenty years despite schemes and incentives. It's perhaps understandable that
Lord Freud might want to think outside the box to allow desperate disabled
people to shine and get a real job with a real (if low) wage which for some may
be preferable to remaining at home, isolated, looking forward to a life on
benefits.

If disabled people could charge less for their time, they might get a job more
easily... but it could also send out unhelpful messages and devalue all
disabled workers.

Suggesting that disabled people may not be worthy of what's deemed to be a
"minimum" wage is seen by campaigners as unacceptable, as Conservative MP
Philip Davies found to his cost in 2011. Equal rights, equal pay are bound up
in law and feel right and just.

Lord Freud sounds like he was raising an important debate, but has muddied the
waters with what sounds like disrespectful language. And as a minister
responsible for controversial welfare reforms, campaigners have been quick to
claim it is a troubling insight into how he thinks.

Disabled affairs minister Esther McVey told the BBC that the comments were
"wrong" and could not be justified.

And the Liberal Democrats said what Lord Freud said was "completely
unacceptable".

A former adviser to the last Labour government, Lord Freud has been closely
involved in the coalition's implementation of major benefits changes, such as
the replacement of the disability living allowance with the personal
independence payment and the rollout of Universal Credit, a consolidated single
payment designed to encourage work.

Mr Scott, a councillor in Kent, defended Lord Freud's response, saying there
were examples where the minimum wage "precludes a small number of physically or
mentally disabled from working".

He suggested the minister did not intend to "undermine the minimum wage but
thinks a system to reward them would help their own well-being by getting them
into work".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-29628557#

Vikas Kapoor,
Mobile: (+91) 9891098137, 9013354994
Skype Id: dl_vikas
Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!