Over 5,000 Mumbaikars will run for a cause on December 14
By Hassan M Kamal |Posted 05-Nov-2014
 Mumbaikars, from seasoned athletes to school children, defence
veterans, senior citizens and the differently abled will hit Bandra's
roads, as part of a special marathon, MustRun2014, to push for
disabled-friendly infrastructure in the city.
Run
Pic/Sayed Sameer Abedi

Organised by H/West Federation, Must Run 2014, in its fourth year,
will have athletes as well as first-timers in categories like full
marathon (21 Km), half marathon (10 km), a 5-km dream run to create
awareness on oral hygiene and shorter runs like a 2-km run for senior
citizens, 2-km run for municipal school children and a 1-km run for
people with disabilities.

Neenu Kewlani, an activist who's been fighting for the rights of the
differently abled shares, "Though, we have a law that makes it
compulsory to have public spaces accessible to persons with
disabilities, we still have not been able to provide an infrastructure
that can support the movement of persons with disability. Be it public
parks, toilets, buses and trains or government buildings, Mumbai is
not accessible to persons with disabilities."

According to Kewlani, the Census India 2011 reported nearly 3.5 lakh
persons with disabilities in Mumbai, but she feels the actual numbers
could be higher. "The government to consider the needs of people with
disability, before starting projects -- including toilets that are to
be built under the Swachch India Campaign. We want every facility to
be built under the scheme, to have at least one disabled-friendly
toilet," she adds.

Kewlani and her team of experts recently surveyed the Monorail for
accessibility for persons with disability, and is now planning to do
the same with the Mumbai Metro.
On: December 14
At: St Stanislaus High School Grounds, Hill Road, Bandra (W).
Log on to: www.mustrun.in
To register
Log on to: www.mustrun.in or collect and submit forms at
At: Kamalabai Nimbikar Library, Madhu Park, Khar.
Last date to register: November 24
Last date of submission: November 25
Entry: Rs 750 (for 21 km and 10-km run), Rs 500 (for 5-km dream run),
Rs 150 (for senior citizens), free (for
2-km municipal school children run, 1-km run for persons with
disabilities, and Army, Navy, Air Force, Police, BMC and Fire Brigade
personnel)
source
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/over-5000-mumbaikars-will-run-for-a-cause-on-december-15/15739159

--
m. sivakumar. P.hd.
 International Institute of Tamil Studies CIT Campus, 2nd Main Road,

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what
others may consider a small one.

Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!