Dear  Mr. Amjad Ahmed Fitwala,

I am thankful to you and all those friends who have express their
concern towards the self advocacy of the community for its
comprehensive development and appreciated and encouraged the move of
NFB Karnataka to this account.
My response to all suggestions /questions raised by fellow members is as under
1. As you all would be aware of the fact that the port folio of
hon’ble minister has been changed from railway to Law and justice. So
we shall have to see, how far this attempt will work? or we shall have
to restart it from square 1. However today morning, I checked with
local officer of hon’ble minister and found that the representation
has already been forwarded to the ministry.
2. Our meeting with railway minister was not pre scheduled.  We only
came to know morning of 6th November that hon’ble minister is in
Bangalore and we tried to avail this opportunity to request his honor
to address various long standing problems faced by persons with
disability in travel by Railway in which we succeeded.
3. Except one, all the issues contained in this representation have
already been placed before the ministry from time to time by various
national or regional organizations representing the sector, including
the issue of extending concession in Tatkal tickets, extending the
concession in those trains in which at present it is not available,
withdrawal of restriction of having the escort for availment of
concession in the shatabdi and Rajadhani express, etc.

4. The only issue what we added to this, is concerning replacement of
term ``totally blind’’ in draft of concession certificate with blind
and for this also we have been receiving several requests from the
people of Karnataka region since long time.
5. So far the demand of concession in tatkal ticket is concerned,
whether the concession is available to any section of the society or
not, whether it may or may not be granted to us but I don’t see any
harm to ask for the same. But If still public opinion is not in favor
to demand this concession, it can be ignored at the stage of further
deliberations.
6. So far as the condition of travel with escort in Rajdhani and
shathabdi trains is concerned , as I have already mentioned that I
referred it not only in a representation submitted by some other NGO
some time back , but also referred a letter of railway ministry in
response to a quarry raised by AICB Delhi. This letter clearly
mentions that the concession in fare in Rajdhani and Shatabdhi Trains
is admissible only to those totally blind persons who cannot travel
without escort. But if it is clear that the concession in rajadhani
and shathabdhi trains is admissible to us even without escort too. So
this demand can also be skipped in further course of action.
7. As per the informations what have been brought to our notice so
far, Garibrat and torento are only trains in which the concession is
not available, if some more trains are there in which the concession
was not granted they may also be added.
8. As some of you have suggested some other steps to be taken
concerning accessible and barrier free platforms, availability of
wheelchairs at station and platforms, sensitization of railway staff,
auditory announcements in trains during the journey, etc, many of
these issues are already including in this representation and what
have been left out so they may be articulated as per the public
opinion expressed at various platforms and same may be taken up in
forth coming submission.
9. As a conclusion I would like to mentioned that this was neither a
final negotiation, nor any formal meeting to discuss and decide the
issues, but this was just an attempt to call the attention of the
hon’ble minister towards a wide range of problems faced by the persons
with disability in travel by railway and which have been repeatedly
raised with the ministry with no avail
10. Even in term of an intensive discussion   we can work out and
compile more comprehensive representation and submit the same to the
concerned ministry through our representative organizations at all
levels when and where we get chance to do so.
With kind regards,
Gautam Agarwal
General Secretary
NFB Karnataka