Article from Mumbai Mirror

What does it mean to be 'differently abled'?

Nov 25, 2014, 01.48 AM IST

By Rustom Irani

 MUMBAI ON WHEELS - A five-part series on navigating Mumbai as a handicapped
person

If I know something about myself with the utmost certainty, it is that I am
not "differently abled". I am definitely handicapped (US), disabled (UK),

a person confined to a wheelchair, a quadriparetic, an individual with a
degenerative motor-neuron, but yes, I'm not differently abled.

I'm also not physically challenged! I try and avoid challenges which might
put my disability to the test, and let's be honest, isn't the most stoic
Mumbaikar

also physically challenged by his/her daily commute and consistent struggle
to survive in this city? The last time I was physically challenged by a
flight

of stairs - a dire obstacle for me and my wheelchair - it had a very
dramatic end, involved seven strong men lifting me to overcome those odds.
I'm sure

this exercise left them physically challenged too.

Some people hear me out with a sympathetic smile and then say, "But that
proves you were able to achieve the simple act of stair climbing
differently.

You are differently abled. Not handicapped or disabled. What an
inspirational story."

No! Please seek inspiration elsewhere. Physically challenged has just slyly
evolved to differently abled as a means to be sensitive to any and all
disabilities

by grouping them as one. In the process, it has become a generic euphemism
to quickly and painlessly state the obvious in a total nonobvious manner. As

many euphemisms, by degrees the word becomes an evasion of the very reality
is describes.

The term differently abled, the internet tells me, was actually coined by
the United States National Democratic Committee in the early 80s to view the

handicapped in a more positive light - and a more politically correct one.
But I have yet to meet a handicapped person who finds the term truly
acceptable.

The most vociferous arguments deem it too cutesy, providing the false
impression of sensitivity towards the disabled experience, throwing a soft
veil of

language over issues of disability which need to be accepted and addressed.

I agree with those arguments. I will also add that even "differently abled"
has implications of a pre-set norm of being able, a normal set way of doing

things.

I've a wonderful little certified document from the All India Institute of
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai, in conjunction with the
Ministry

of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of India, which clearly and quite
comfortingly announces my disability, gives it a median percentage score and
entitles

me to all concessions and privileges based on that score. There's nothing
wrong in being called disabled or handicapped. Do we need to be sensitive
towards

the disabled and handicapped or is it because sympathy is a much easier
option that empathy?

Most handicapped people accept the fact that there are certain things in
life which they can never achieve or do because of their disability. That's
not

inspirational - the more truthful word is adaptability. It involves sheer
hard work, patience and perseverance just like any non-handicapped
individual

might apply to reach his or her goal in life. Of course we need the help of
anyone and everyone at times to get through life. However, the apprehension

of how to address us is the first major hurdle - and it's huge - often
sending us back to being special but feeling patronised.

If you befriend a handicapped individual or are related to one, and have
difficulty trying to state our condition to non-handicapped acquaintances
without

sounding offensive, relax. We've heard it all and actually find it pretty
hilarious. As a kid I've been referred to as a "langda", and devised the
reply

of saying I had many other things in common with a species of mango. The
best tip though, is to leave the disability as an open-ended mystery by
bowling

a googly like my parents, who sometimes say, "Rustom doesn't walk." It
creates all sorts of possibilities and questions in the minds of the
inquisitive,

helps break the ice and makes us feel totally accepted.

If we meet in person don't worry about what term or label might offend me,
instead tell me yours and we'll take the conversation from there, I promise.

Source :
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/columns/columns/What-does-it-mean-to-be-differen
tly-abled/articleshow/45265206.cms?

Thanks and Regards,

Nilesh

Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!