I like this piece. It has captured the core of what our Nation is about.

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of avinash shahi
Sent: 06 January 2015 15:50
To: J L Kaul; jnuvision; worldopinion; accessindia; sayeverything
Subject: [AI] Commentary by Garga on India's victory in the Blind Cricket
World Cup published in the Dawn Newspaper Today

Sight unseeing
http://www.dawn.com/news/1155091/sight-unseeing
Rarely Does a team from India become the world champion in something.
In December, India won the Blind Cricket World Cup 2014, defeating
Pakistan by five wickets. The Indian team had no serious support in
the government or sporting circles in the run-up to the World Cup held
in South Africa.

Apathy is something that comes easily to most of us. What
distinguishes the apathetic from the sleazy is the way the latter
changes stripes when it senses an opportunity at patronising something
it was previously apathetic towards, for its own gain. The way
politicians and the media courted the world champions, with photo-ops,
interviews, cash prizes and promises galore was not for love of the
sport, but an act of politically encashable pity, packaged as
compassion. For the powerful, who never lose an opportunity to appear
compassionate, this was a particularly low-hanging fruit. This public
posturing with champions in front of cameras was too fake, too late.
For the team, it was better late than never, even if they saw through
the sudden love.

Ironic is the patronisation that comes from folks who couldn't care
less about disability and whose political ascendency has benefitted
from maiming and killing of opponents, innocents and whistleblowers.
Politicians both in and out of power wanted a piece of the action,
some 'human-face' brownie points for cheap.

This isn't too different from the parading of brave children on
elephants on the Indian Union's Republic Day parade in New Delhi. In
an age when stories of widespread malnutrition among children,
savagery by armed forces, extra-judicial murders and other 'minor'
details sometimes get out in the open, this warm stuff is good for PR
externally and delusion internally.

-----

The public posturing with the blind cricket champions was too fake.

-----

This was also a chance for the media to absolve itself of its lack of
focus on systemic issues -- the everyday hurdles and discrimination
faced by the blind and the 'differently abled', or the fact that India
is home to the world's largest number of blind people and also the
largest number of blind people whose blindness is treatable but never
will be treated. The media focus on Blind Cricket World Cup champions
created an opportunity to discuss how we approach the 'differently
abled'. For starters, we could have grappled with the question -- who
gets to decide for the blind? Almost exclusively, the sighted decide
the boundaries of what the blind can or cannot achieve.

We are happy that the blind team, captained by Shekar Naik, is a world
champion. What do we mean by 'world champion' though, and do we mean
it? We must admit that we don't think this is 'real' cricket. 'Real'
is the game that your Sachin Tendulkar and Mahender Singh Dhoni play
very well and the one that Arun Jaitley and Narayanaswami Srinivasan
play even better.

Then there are what we consider 'feel-good' forms for the marginal --
women's cricket, blind cricket, etc. Which is why when TV anchors
interviewed the blind cricket champs, they asked whether they want to
meet Tendulkar. This 'god' of male cricket for the sighted was assumed
to be the god of all cricket, certainly so to 'lesser' cricket like
blind cricket. At the heart of this constant reference to the 'real'
form is a profound lack of understanding about human abilities and the
many forms it can take.

Blind male cricket is a different game from sighted male cricket. The
rules are different, the abilities that are required to excel are
different. To be good in blind cricket requires superior performance
in ways that Tendulkar cannot achieve in this lifetime just as Prakash
Jayaramaiah, the blind cricket star, cannot achieve the set of skills
that makes one excel in the sighted form of the game.

When the sighted team physiotherapist talks about keeping the team
fit, he means expensive food additives, avoidance of certain foods,
multi-gyms, and what not. The blind team coach frankly admits, given
the socio-economic background of most of his team, it is basic
nutrition (a full stomach) that is a factor that limits his options in
giving too much arduous training. While sighted crorepati champs get
their millions for playing, some blind cricketers have to give up the
wages of their daily wage earning jobs (like catering, etc) to train
and play.

Finally, the blind teams of India and Pakistan, being products of
neglect in their respective homelands, are not effective media through
which nationalists can wage war by other means. When India won the
Blind T20 World Cup in 2012, the Cricket Association for the Blind in
India (CABI) said 'Congratulations Team INDIA, Good show Team
PAKISTAN'. That is 'soft' towards Pakistan and isn't worth sighted
time. Only 'we' can 'see' the 'enemy' for what they really are.

The writer is a Bengal-based commentator on subcontinental politics and
culture.

Twitter @gargac

Published in Dawn, January 6th,

--
Avinash Shahi

Celebrating Louis Braille birthday Jan4th

dia.org.in

please visit the list home page at

veracity;

sent through this mailing list..

Celebrating Louis Braille birthday Jan4th