I am posting the letter written to Mr. Javed Abidi on the issue relating to Braille.

Shri Javed Abidi

Director

National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) in India

A -77, South Extension Part II

New Delhi - 110 049

Dear Shri Abidi,

I am indeed surprised to see the comments you have made about the Braille technology for the Blind in the Pionner news paper. Since NAB [India] has a large capacity for Braille production, I am certainly competent to comment on your observations regarding Braille technology. Late Sir Louis Braille through the Braille Code established the link between our visually challenged persons and information world, which you are aware of. Till date, no substitute technology has ever been developed by anyone establishing such a link, particularly for visually impaired children.

Shri Abidi, can anyone learn a language during school education purely from audio? Can anyone learn spelling, grammer and punctuation marks as also do composition, comprehension, prec--writing etc? You will agree that Baille is needed for the Blind Child to learn language that is why AICB, NAB [India] and NFB aggressively promote the use of Braille, particularly in school education. Any Indian languages in Braille is absolutely necessary for understanding word formats and structures, which you will appreciate.

Yes, it may be true that Baille books could be bulky in case they are not divided into manageable pages. Shri Abidi we do this. We recognize that the page of normal print will occupy two and a half page of Braille print and that is why we divide the books into manageable pages to promot ease of use and carrying. Since all the reference books cannot be converted into Braille having regard to embossing capacity and cost efficiency, audio is required in higher education. So we state with all conviction that Braille is irreplaceable for the Blind. Further audio requires a computer terminal and the inconvenience of using a earphone while using screen reader.

So a responsible person like you should have noted these things and should not have communicated merely that Braille books are bigger and ungainly to carry. However, how did you get the impression and what basis you made a statement that the technology is outdated. The method of Braille embossing might have changed but the technology has not become outdated. This is true for all Industries where production methods changed and the technology gets innovated and improved. There has been lot of improvements in Braille technologies and I request you to please take note of these. So your statement that Braille technology is outdated is completely wrong.

I therefore request you to tender an apology in the print media for hurting the sentiments of those who are working in the welfare field of the visually challenged and eschew from making such unfounded statements in future without proper study and discussion. You, not being a Braille user should avoid making statements against Braille. I also seriously condemn the Pionner for publishing the article on Braille technology which is highly irresponsible, condemnable and baseless. The paper should have checked out the facts before publishing anything against Braille technology. We also take this oppolrtunity to thank the Government of India and our Hon'ble Finance Minster for announcing funding support to setting up of new Braille Presses in State and Union Territories where such capacity is not available, modernization of Braille Presses and capacity augmentation for Braille production.

Regards,

Yours sincerely,

K. RAMKRISHNA

HON. SECRETARY GENERAL

NAB [INDIA]

C.C. : Shri J. L Kaul

          Shri Santosh Rungta

----- Original Message ----- From: "sachu ramalingam" <sachuramalinga...@gmail.com> To: "AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerningthe disabled." <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [AI] Centre no more blind to visually impaired,funds books in Braille

Dear All,

I completely  agree  that Mr. Abedi ought to tender an unequivocal  public
apology  to the visually impaired community.

It is  aso equally  important  for the pionner to  apologise for
publishing  a statement from a person who has nothing what so ever with
the  Braille or visual impairment. Are  there derth of people in new delhi
from whom opinion  could have been taken.

Regards

Sachu Ramalingam