CHAPTER 1: Introduction
The Role and Value of the Teacher of the Visually Impaired with Marla Runyan.
RUNYAN: When I turned nine years old and the first day of school in
the fourth grade I went into my classroom and sat down at my desk, and
the teacher started writing on the chalkboard, and I looked up and I
couldn't see what she was writing. In fact it didn't look like there
was anything there or it was like a couple of dashed lines. And I
thought, "What's wrong with her chalk?" And it never occurred to me
that there was something wrong with my vision.
The deterioration in my retinas occurred very slowly over the summer,
and I was pretty active outside and so I wasn't doing a lot of reading
or detailed tasks. That was the first time I began to experience
having a vision impairment. What I didn't know is that my acuity had
already fallen to 2,200, which is the level of legal blindness.
And it wasn't very long after that first day of school that I could no
longer see my textbooks in school or worksheets, chalkboard, overhead
projectors, all that stuff. Basically almost all print became
unaccessible at that point.
NARRATOR: A school photograph of Marla Runyan at about age nine is
shown. She wears a purple shirt with a line of embroidered flowers
down the front.
RUNYAN: Initially, in my home school district there were no services.
And this is going back to the late '70s. The laws were brand new in
terms of least restrictive environment and I ended up changing
districts. And by the time I was middle school, and that was the first
time... by the time I reached sixth grade, that was the very first
time in my life I actually had a teacher for the visually impaired
supporting me in my academics.
I had a... I was in a mainstream sixth grade classroom, and for one
hour a day I would go to the VI resource room where my TVI made sure
that I had all of my materials accessible, would help me get caught up
on schoolwork because I was very slow. What was really important for
me was that that I had a person, I had a teacher in my life who
understood what it was like to be visually impaired. And that in
itself was so personally significant that it was like when you are the
only student in a school of hundreds or even thousands, where you were
the only one who is visually impaired, or there's only a few other
students who are, you feel that you are misunderstood or that no one
understands what it's like.
And then to have this teacher in your life who not only is there to
help support you academically, but is someone who understands what
you're going through, and, in a way, it's a comfort and it's that time
to just be myself and not feel like I have to pretend I can see, I can
just be myself. And that was really -- the role that that teacher
played in my life for the three years in middle school, he had a very
significant role in my life.
CHAPTER 2: The Impact of Visual Impairment on Incidental Learning
RUNYAN: What people don't realize is how much knowledge about the
world that a child, a fully sighted child brings to the kindergarten
grade level when they first enter school -- what they've learned just
through visual observation of their world. They've watched their mom
or dad make dinner. They've watched the routines of the day in their
home. They've traveled, they've seen, they've witnessed and learned
through that visual observation so many things, including social
skills, including communication skills and language skills, and it
goes on and on.
A young boy who is blind is being taught how to set the table for lunch.
NARRATOR: In a photograph, a young boy who is blind is being taught
how to set the table for lunch. A teacher watches as the boy places a
green plastic plate on the table. This is an example of a task that a
child who is sighted would encounter through incidental learning,
something that must be specifically taught to a child who is blind or
visually impaired.
RUNYAN: Then you have to think about how that information plays a r
So there's all these little pieces of missing information that the TVI
understands that that's going to impact that child's learning. And so
that's why that TVI is so crucial is coming in and being able to spend
direct service time with that student and figuring out does this
student have all the conceptual background knowledge to understand
this list of spelling words? Does this student have all the background
knowledge to understand this story that's taking place in another
country when she's never seen a map? She doesn't know the shape of the
country or what the world looks like.
So we come in and we say, as a TVI, you're looking at what knowledge
and what foundational concepts might be missing or lacking for this
student that's going to impact her success in the classroom. And
that's such a significant role that I think many other educators or
administrators overlook that it's not just t
Marla working with a teenaged boy who is blind on some concepts in science.
NARRATOR: We see in a photograph Marla working with a teenaged boy who
is blind on some concepts in science.
On the desk between them is a device that holds two plastic cups on
either side of a fulcrum, much like a small seesaw. The device can be
used to determine the relative weight of liquid or dry measures that
are placed in the cups.
RUNYAN: In order for the student who is visually impaired in the
general education setting to really have access to her education, have
meaningful instruction, it's the TVI's role to also educate and inform
the general ed teacher, as well as every member on that IEP team about
how this vision impairment is really impa
CHAPTER 3: Making the Curriculum Accessible and Meaningful
RUNYAN: From my experience I think we focus a lot on the accessible
curriculum part for a student who is visually impaired. So we think
immediately do we have it in large print? Can they use their globe
magnifier or their close circuit television, or if it's a Braille
reader do we have that in Braille? Are they going to use technology?
Are we going to do it audio? So we're thinking formatting, we're
thinking format, we're thinking accessing material, we're accessing
the actual books, and worksheets, and posters, and all of the concrete
curriculum that exists in the classroom. That's where we kind of think
about that first.
Marla working with a teenaged boy who is blind on some concepts in science.
NARRATOR: In a photograph, three high school-aged students -- two boys
and a girl -- are gathered around a table on which iPads and other
tablet devices are displayed. In this lesson about money, students who
are blind are using some of the accessibility features of the iPads to
access information online.
The girl wears headphones that are plugged into one of the devices. On
the table are scattered bills of various denominations.
RUNYAN: But what we also have to think about, which is equally, if not
more, important, is the instruction meaningful to the student? So if
we're going to teach the class a lesson on the metric system, and you
have sighted children and one blind student in your class, well,
what's a meter? What's a centimeter? What are these concepts? What do
we need to bring to that lesson to make it meaningful to the student
who's blind?
We've got to bring the real thing, we've got to bring objects. We
can't learn through pictures, and videos, and PowerPoint
presentations, and document cameras. We have to bring real objects
that that student can put her hands on, and learn, and develop. I'm
going to hold this bottle, and this bottle holds one liter of fluid.
Okay, now I have a concept for what this amount is.
You know, and so that is a huge part of teaching our students and
ensuring that they understand the concepts in the classroom because
just reading it, we've made the books accessible and they can read it,
great. But now we've got to make sure that instruction for that
content is meaningful. And that is a big part of what the TVI can
support.
A young boy who is visually impaired and wears glasses is sitting at a
table with his TVI.
NARRATOR: In a photograph, a young boy who is visually impaired and
wears glasses is sitting at a table with his TVI. They are in a
greenhouse surrounded by plants. As part of a classroom curriculum
involving plants and plant growth, they are working with soil, seeds,
and pots that will eventually produce seedlings.
RUNYAN: For a student who's visually impaired, whether a student with
low vision or a student who's totally blind, they need time. They need
time to learn the information in a meaningful way, and they need time
to process that information and apply the knowledge and skills that
they've learned. And in general education, it's a race. It's like the
gun has gone off and off those kids go.
I've had students, you know, a 20-problem math worksheet every sighted
child in the classroom is finished and my student's on number two.
It's not that she can't do it, and it's not that she can't access it,
it's that she doesn't have the time to do it. And so our students need
that time, they need time to learn, they need time to apply their
skills. I've gone so many meetings and tried to educate other
educators on tactile learning, tactual learning versus visual
learning. And that as... if you are fully sighted you are seeing the
whole picture, the whole thing, and then you can zero in on the parts.
For a tactile learner, they see the parts, they see only what their
fingers can touch, and they have to keep moving their hand, and moving
their hand, and then they construct a whole based on those parts.
Which process do you think is faster? Obviously being able to see the
whole picture first is much faster. So a tactile learner in particular
needs that time. It's not that she can't do it, it's not that she
can't learn it, but she needs the time to process and apply her
skills, and practice those skills.
CHAPTER 4: The TVI and the Expanded Core Curriculum
RUNYAN: There's more to learning than the fact that we got your book
in Braille for you. (chuckles) Can we understand the concepts in that
book? Is there an experience that student can fall back on, or is that
content reliant on having visual observations of your world?
And so the parent can really advocate for having the TVI, maybe in
some cases, have a more active and direct service role for their child
to help them build those foundational concepts that support them not
only academically, but then branching into domains of the expanded
core curriculum and supporting social skills, technology use,
recreation leisure, all of those components of the ECC is the role of
the TVI to support.
The emphasis or the focus is often on the hard concrete curriculum
being books, worksheets, and materials. And what is often forgotten or
neglected is...is the meaning...is the instruction meaningful and also
supporting instruction in the expanded core curriculum? So that is
where the TVI plays a major and significant role.
NARRATOR: We see in a photograph a young boy who is blind holding a
Wiffle bat and taking a swing at a multi-colored piƱata that hangs
from a rope in front of him. Behind the boy, his TVI positions him by
gently holding his shoulders and orienting him towards the target.
RUNYAN: If you think about it, what is the purpose of education? And
if you think about it...for everybody. And the purpose of education is
to prepare our children for their future as adults. And so if you
think about a student who's blind, and all we've done is make sure
that worksheet was in Braille, and we've made sure their books were in
Braille, and that's all we do, have we prepared that child for his
future? And does that child have knowledge about mobility? Can he get
where he wants to go?
An adolescent boy who is blind navigating the hallway of his public school.
NARRATOR: In a photograph, we see an adolescent boy who is blind
navigating the hallway of his public school on the way to his locker.
The boy holds his mobility cane in his left hand as he passes a wall
of green lockers. The next photo shows the boy smiling as he stands
next to his own locker.
RUNYAN: Does he have the...does he have independent living skills?
Does he have...can he make his own lunch? Can he go to the store? Can
he ride th
NARRATOR: A photograph shows a young man who is blind loading the
dishwasher in his apartment.
RUNYAN: And so many of those skills fall within the ECC. And that's
why we can't neglect it, we can't neglect it. Because it's great that
that fifth grader did his math worksheet in Braille, that's great,
but, again, could he get his lunch? Could he carry his tray in the
cafeteria? Could he sit...does he have a friend to talk to? Does he
have an after school activity to participate in? These are the big
pieces of our education that we can't forget.
CHAPTER 5: Challenges to Providing the Appropriate Level of Services
RUNYAN: Your challenge is your time, your time is limited. That's all
it comes down to. As an itinerant you are traveling school to school
to school. You're not based in any one location. And so the time you
have for each student is very limited. And there might be days when
that student needs your service more. But you have six more students
to see that day. And so you have to make these decisions like, "Okay,
off I go. "I've got to go to another...I've got to go to another
school."
NARRATOR: In a photograph, we see an adolescent boy who is blind and
hearing impaired sitting at his desk in a mainstream classroom among
his sighted peers. The teacher stands at the front of the room to the
boy's right in front of a board with notes and assignments written on
it. The teacher wears a microphone on her collar, and the boy is using
his Braille note taker to record the instructions for an assignment
that she is about to hand out.
RUNYAN: And when your caseload is larger than it should be, maybe
because, again, the policymakers above you or your administrators
above you aren't fully understanding the significance of your role,
then it makes it really difficult to really provide the service the
students need.
It becomes very frustrating because as an educator, you want to
provide that service. But you've got five hours in a school day to do
it. And you've got 12, 15 kids you've got to get to. So you feel like
there are compromises that shouldn't happen. So part of what parents
can do is truly advocate that their child is receiving the level and
frequency of service that their child needs. And understanding and
communicating that to their district. And so that they're ensuring
that the TVI is providing that level of service.
A boy who is visually impaired peering closely at the screen of his
Perkins Smart Brailler.
NARRATOR: A photograph shows a young girl who is visually impaired and
wearing glasses working one-on-one with her TVI. They work together at
a desk to create a calendar with all of the dates positioned under the
correct day of the week.
Another photograph shows a boy who is visually impaired peering
closely at the screen of his Perkins Smart Brailler. The boy wears
glasses and we can see his hearing aid. His TVI is visible in the
background of the photo, sitting beside him at the desk.
RUNYAN: Parents need to know as advocates for their children that the
services their child receives should be based on their child's needs.
That's what it comes down to. And a lot of people will have different
opinions as to what that child needs. So sometimes deciding whether
the service is direct
And that's why, you know, parents can advocate for the level, type,
and frequency of service for their child should be based on their
child's needs. And certain children need more support than others
based on their individual needs. It's not a standardized formula for
the amount of service delivery or type of service delivery. It can't
be standardized. It's individualized for each specific student. And
that's what parents need to know and advocate for the appropriate
service for their child.
The Role and Value of the Teacher of the Visually Impaired with Marla Runyan.

--
consulting & practicing physiotherapy(v.i.)
mobile:-09322896185