Dear all,

Greetings from Mumbai.

i have  read the very interesting discussions going on on this list, and i
would request someone to provide me with the guidelines of the list again-
it seems we are pushing boundaries each time.

In a very recent eenthusiastic thread active on the list i can only say that
it is shocking how couple of points could be related to blindness or
accessibility:

-what should be done first, trimming or  shaving

-how much time does a shave take

-if someone has a hard growth or a soft one

-how to clean the blade

-getting rid of the pubic hair

the first one or two exchanges were okay or could be directly/indirectly
related to accessibility but seriously the 37 others that followed?

these are only a few out of the many objectionable contents.

As a woman i can and will share my idea that this list suddenly seems like
an electronic space invader. for those who dont know who space invaders
are, let me tell you. they are those men who share a two seater bench with a
woman and take up three quarters of that seat/bench. now why do i say that ?
because the gendered discussion going on this list reflects a very strong
patriarchal attitude and male hegemony. i can see how objections by women
were royally ignored.

it is not about personal is political but about the boundaries of a said
list and where i choose to be. if Access India decides that the boundaries
have changed and they are okay with gendered discussions and personal
matters that concern the blind then just for a minute reflect on this.

Women will absolutely bring up the accessibility of a sanitary napkin vs
tampon. i am sure menstrual issues  are of great concern to blind women. if
toilet habits of men are okay being discussed here so should be that of
women. and of course we will too indulge into enlighting discussions of
whether waxing is more doable than  self threading, and elaborate on how
frequently will we have to do the hair removal, or which method will leave
our skin soft and not let it go dark.

well, i really cant miss out on personal is political. we could bring up sex
positions on this list, because blindness leaves many people apprehensive
about not having seen sex positions earlier and lack of that impacting their
sexual lives. i work on gender, sexual rights, and disability so definitely
this wont make me shy away.

the point is that please tell us what is access India all about and some of
us will be happy to decide whether or not we want to be in this space and of
course others may choose to be here with full awareness of what can come up
and will be acceptable. of course some others like me will start utilising
the newly pushed boundaries!

Happy to comply.

Cheers,

Nidhi Goyal