Hey Avinash,

Welcome to the finantial capital of the country!

I guess we as Mumbaikars are so use to all that you pointed out, it
hardly matters anymore. Challenges are everywhere; whether you travel
by train, bus, cab or rickshaw, only the nature of difficulty varies.

 Tactile paths are rare; so much to be done there. Do take a ride in
the Metro though, Reliance Mumbai Metro has made travel fairly
accessable for the physically challenged.

 As a visually challenged Mumbaikar girl, I have learnt to move beyond
a protected environment of being driven around by family in car to
commuting by cabs, rickshaws, busses and trains with a toddler by my
side, from Boriwali to Kalyan and Belapur to Andheri in all
directions.

Wouldn't say the challenges get lesser if a choice is made to board
busses or hier cabs. The advantage of train travel is that one can
seldom expect to be lost; for even if you get off at the wrong
station, its not tough to find your way back whereas while travel by
road, one must be confident of the routes or it is likely one might be
misled or taken for a royal ride!

The ease in commuting we have today is a result of joint efforts put
in by our visually challenged activists, NGOs pushing for rights and
achieving results in as many ways as possible. The best way to
minimise discomfort is to take advantage of accessable travel wherever
possible and seek help from fellow Mumbaikars whenever need be! Most
people are very warm and helpful if requested curtously. I have had
pleasant as well as unpleasant experiences of interactions with people
on railway platforms, trains, busses as well as rickshaw drivers with
the former types of incidents outnumbering the latter.

Looking forward to have you show the way  around when I visit Delhi next!

Thanks for sharing

Cheers!

Payal Jethra
Phone: 7303448295