It was a cover story:
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/bangalore/cover-story/Blind-residents-allege-sexual-abuses-by-staff-of-prestigious-institution/articleshow/33246585.cms
National Association for the Blind premises in JeevanbhimanagarEfforts
of Karnataka State Commission for Persons with Disabilities to probe
complaints on Thursday were allegedly stymied by officials of the
National Association for the Blind. The commission is contemplating
recommending to state government that it take over

On a training programme in Mysore, a resident of the Karnataka chapter
of the National Association for the Blind (NAB), the well-known NGO
which receives substantial aid from various government bodies, claims
that a staff member took her to a lodge where he sexually abused her.
Another inmate alleges she was sexually abused in NAB's campus in
Jeevanbhimanagar. These are two incidents in a string of complaints
levelled against staff by residents of the NGO.

Residents say they had brought the issue of sexual abuse and
harassment at the hands of staff to the notice of NAB authorities, but
no action has been taken.

A complaint was then sent to the Karnataka State Commission for
Persons with Disabilities (KSCPD) last month. Alarmed, the commission,
a statutory body, decided to investigate.
On Thursday, officials of the commission landed on the doorstep of the
NGO, which is home to about 60 (about 20 of them women) visually
challenged persons, to begin their probe. They had planned to hear for
themselves and record testimony of the residents.

However, they claim they were turned away by the management. The
commission is now planning stringent action including filing a police
complaint and getting the government to appoint an administrator to
run the NGO.
K S Rajanna, commissioner, KSPCD, told Bangalore Mirror that his
office had received a number of complaints from residents against NAB
"in the recent past". Most of the complaints pertained to sexual
harassment by staff members. In some cases, even physically challenged
women employees were allegedly sexually abused by staff.
On Thursday, commission officials had asked NAB, which has been
rehabilitating the blind in the state since 1977, to submit details
regarding its staff, activities, functioning and facilities provided
to residents both male and female, information on staff deputed to
cater to the needs of the physically challenged at the NGO, details of
its financial accounts and details of programmes for the physically
challenged. NAB reportedly promised that the documents will be sent to
commission's office by evening. But instead, the commission received
an email from NAB officials, questioning the authority of the
commission to probe its affairs.
"The commission is a statutory authority and has powers to look into
any kind of harassment meted out to disabled persons," Rajanna said.
"The email which we received from NAB questioning our authority shows
that NAB has something to hide. We will write to the government
(principal secretary, women and child welfare department) seeking
permission to take further action against NAB. If the investigation
concludes that there is truth in the complaints against NAB, a
criminal case will be booked against staff."
Rajanna says that if an administrator — a government nominee — is
appointed, NAB will fall in line and co-operate with the probe.
"Complaints of inmates and physically challenged staff being sexually
harassed by other staff are serious charges," Rajanna said. "If the
complaints were merely about financial irregularities or other petty
matters, the commission would not have taken a serious stand.

Sexual harassment complaints need to be addressed quickly. If not, it
amounts to miscarriage of justice."
The commission had expected a number of residents to testify how they
were sexually abused in a one-on-one interaction with commission
officials. "That was the main purpose of our visit, but our efforts
were stonewalled by vested interests," a commission official said.
"NAB is a well-known NGO which receives substantial support from the
government and other agencies. This trust should not be misused. NAB
should allow us to conduct a probe and take action against the
culprits."
Another official said, "Blind students who have been sexually
assaulted cannot identify the perverts. They can only explain their
pain. It is our duty to protect them and create a safe and secure
environment at NAB."

MISMANAGEMENT The commission has received other complaints of
mismanagement. Residents and some staff members have written to the
commission seeking its intervention in several issues including
bye-law violation, flouting the memorandum of association and rules
and regulations governing NAB, irregularities in administration and
ill-treatment to residents.
Social activists too have joined the fight on the side of the
residents. "It is a sad case of fence eating the crop," said Ranjita
Bharati, a former volunteer of the NGO who is now facilitating
meetings between residents and the commission. "Instead of acting as
guardians, staff are sexually harassing them. There are several other
charges that have been brought against NAB. These include misuse of
funds, violations in the election process to elect the governing
council and abuse of power by senior staff."

'TAKE STRICT ACTION' Other associations which work to uplift the
physically challenged are also urging the commission to take action
against the NGO. "The issue has come to our notice and we have urged
the state commissioner for the disabled to file a police complaint and
appoint a government administrator,"Jaykumar Hiremath, organising
secretary, Helen Keller Association for Physically Challenged told
Bangalore Mirror . "Safety of physically challenged women, especially
the blind, in NGOs is a serious issue and has to be addressed by the
commission. We have also decided to take it up with the chief
minister."

NAB REFUTES CHARGES M Sreenivas, chief executive officer of NAB-K
refuted the charges. He claimed that an employee was dismissed from
the service in the past when sexual harassment charges were levelled
against him.
"There is no such thing (sexual harassment) happening here and no such
thing has come to our knowledge," Sreenivas said. "In the past, when
we heard that such a thing had happened, we dismissed the staff. We
took quick action. There is no such thing for the last one and half
years. We welcome any probe in this regard. We are co-operating with
the Karnataka State Commission for Disabled Persons."

--
Avinash Shahi