> From:    Mike Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >  Many free mail services are web-based only at first glance.
> >  They also allow forwarding and free POP3+SMTP access
> >  used by accmailers.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here; if one has either webmail or
> POP3/SMTP email access, that means one has TCP/IP access to the
> Internet, right?

Sometimes the TCP/IP access is limited in some ways.

1. Note: forwarding too.

2. Some ISP allow limited TCP/IP access cheaper, for free for test purposes
or as an incentive. In such cases users can access a limited set of websites,
but the rest of WWW (port 80) is blocked. However POP3 access in such cases
can be unlimited, or include one of free mail services (possibly
served by the ISP - available for both limited users and all the rest
of the world).

3. Some corporate firewalls are like the 2.

4. For example for me TCP/IP traffic inside my country (going through
UA-IX - Ukrainian Internet exchange point) is free (limited only by
speed - in my case 512 Kbit/s incoming), but TCP/IP traffic from
foreign servers is limited (for me 1250 MB/month), above that it's paid
by megabyte, prohibitively expensive. However most of Ukrainian
free mail services are available through UA-IX. So I use accmail method
and a free Ukrainian mail service (allowing POP3 access for free) in order
to download large files from foreign servers. I use my own web-mail servers,
but few accmailers can write such server. I don't allow others to use
my web-mail servers because resulting massive traffic would be noticed
by the free hosting, and my account would be terminated.