Hello acmailers ...

Reluctantly, I have concluded that I cannot restore
www4mail at szs.net.

I had originally hoped to get www4mail back up last
August
( http://www.mail-archive.com/accmail%40listserv.aol.com/msg02531.html ).

Since then, my plans have been obstructed by poor
health, pressure of work and the economic recession. I
have no spare time now, and I need the www4mail server
machine for other, more urgent projects.

I started www4mail at szs.net in January 2007, and kept
it going until July 2010. In the end I was overwhelmed
by persistent abuse, but I think it was worth the
effort, and I don't regret doing it.

If anyone else would like to set up www4mail, the
original source code is still online at
http://users.ictp.it/~onime/www4mail/www4mail-3.33.tar.gz .

You will need a server running under Linux (or one of
the other Unix-family operating systems). Root access
and some experience of server admin is essential. You
will also need an advanced understanding of Perl (the
original source code is large, dense, and has no
documentation at all). My version of the www4mail code
was modified slightly to run under Debian Linux on a
virtual private server. I had very few technical
difficulties - just a few small problems at startup, but
after that, www4mail functioned autonomously for most of
the 42 months of its existence.

Special thanks to everybody who helped with advice,
feedback and programming tips.