From: Ace [mailto:ace-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Grace Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:26 AM
To: Cigdem Sengul <cigdem.sen...@gmail.com>; Ludwig Seitz <ludwig.se...@ri.se>
Cc: ace@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ace] Question about the response to an unauthorized request

Ludwig,

I do believe that this would reveal too much information to an attacker,
especially if IoT devices are being deployed in “hostile environments.” While
this may be appropriate in a home and potentially industry setting, it is
certainly not appropriate in a more contested setting.

The UMA approach presented by Cigdem is an option, given that the RS is able to
verify with the AS that the request comes from a client that is currently
paired to the AS. However, I do agree that reachability to the AS may not
always be possible.

If this is included as an option, the security considerations would need to be
clearly noted.

*       Grace

Grace A. Lewis, Ph.D.

Principal Researcher

Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute

Software Solutions Division (SSD)

Tactical Technologies Group (TTG)

4500 Fifth Ave.

Pittsburgh, PA 15213