This was done because, in CBOR, there is a way to distinguish between a string
and a URL.  This is lacking in JSON.  I believe that the ability to not have to
determine this heuristically is a good thing.

Jim

From: Ace [mailto:ace-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Samuel Erdtman
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:42 AM
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofe...@arm.com>
Cc: ace@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ace] CWT - Audience

My guess is that this is an early mistake that has not been noticed, it has
been like this from the first draft.

I think the correct thing would be to change it so that CWT reflects JWT.

//Samuel

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofe...@arm.com
<mailto:hannes.tschofe...@arm.com> > wrote:

Hi all,

in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7519/?include_text=1 (section 4.1.3),
“aud” is defined for JWT as being an array of case-sensitive strings, or a
single string.

In
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token/?include_text=1
(section 3.1.3), “aud” is defined for CWT as being like in JWT, but “the value
is of type StringOrURI”.

I was wondering how we arrived at this point where the CWT and the JWT differ
in this regard.

Ciao

Hannes

medium. Thank you.