From: Carsten Bormann [mailto:c...@tzi.org]
Sent: 20 February 2018 19:05
To: Hannes Tschofenig
Cc: Michael Richardson; Ludwig Seitz; ace@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ace] draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-10.txt: Leaving implementers in
the dark

On Feb 20, 2018, at 08:43, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofe...@arm.com> wrote:

> IMHO the biggest problem with "onboarding" is that people create new terms
> without specifying what they actually mean and thereby fail to see the
> relationship with existing work.

Right.  I have no idea what client registration has to do with “onboarding”,
but I use that term for the initial integration of a device into a network only.

I continue to believe that we need a clear understanding of what information is
exchanged during client registration that is relevant to the ACE OAuth.  There
definitely will also be other information (“business logic”, and you can call
the exchange of that part of the registration info “onboarding” if you like),
and that is where the vendor differentiation can set in, but we should have no
trouble defining the ACE content of client registration.

If we don’t define that ACE content, there is no way to know whether ACE OAuth
is secure.

Defining the ACE content of the client registration as a set of data structures
also helps with achieving actual interoperability, even if additional business
logic is required in a specific case.

Grüße, Carsten

medium. Thank you.