IANA does ask for the expert review as part of the processing it does even for
standards track documents.  This is because, in part, they are responsible for
doing the final number assignment.  That is which number in the range is
actually used.  The interesting question would be what happens if the IESG and
the DEs disagree about such things.  I would expect that this would result in a
long discussion with some type of final agreement between them.

Jim