In the event of an unauthorized, the RS has the ability to return a URL to the
AS it knows about.  If it returns coaps://AS/token, then this might be thought
of implying that one needs to use dtls to talk to the AS rather than using
OSCORE.  The same might be true if you just returned coap://AS/token.  Once
upon a time, I thought there was some work being done in the core group that
would help clean this up.  It has not finished, nor have I seen much about it
recently.

Jim