Hannes,

I am having a bit of an issue over the last paragraph below and I am not sure
exactly where the boundary is supposed to be between OAuth and ACE anymore.
From the comments that you made during the development of the ACE OAuth
framework, there was a big effort to try and make sure that the framework can
be used with JSON, and with HTTP.  I have implemented a version of the protocol
that is using both JSON and HTTP in order to get the necessary POP keys for my
MQTT client/server pair.

That said, I also am planning to be on the call next Monday.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Ace <ace-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Hannes Tschofenig
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 12:59 AM
To: Cigdem Sengul <cigdem.sen...@gmail.com>
Cc: ace@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ace] draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile-03

Hi Cigdem,

Thanks for your quick response.

>From the text you cited regarding MQTT v5 it is not backwards compatible to
>version 3.1.1. The exact impact of working between two devices of different
>versions has not been described in the spec either. The follow sentence in
>your introduction can easily give readers the impression that the two versions
>are backwards compatible. Here is the sentence:

" It is expected that MQTT
   deployments will retain backward compatibility for MQTT v3.1.1
   clients, and therefore, this document also describes a reduced set of
   protocol interactions for MQTT v3.1.1 - the OASIS Standard
   [MQTT-OASIS-Standard].
"

Maybe you want to change the wording a little bit.  I think the reason why you
want to describe a solution for v3.1.1 is that this is the widely deployed
version.

Regarding the broker term: It is probably a matter of taste but I would refer
to the terms used in the spec and would not replicate the terminology from the
OASIS MQTT specs in the draft. Someone who implements the draft will have to
become familiar with MQTT anyway. But that’s just me. For example, I often see
people using the term “certificate authorities (CA)” in their write-ups. RFC
5280 defines and uses the term “certification authority (CA)". While the two
sound and look similar only one is actually correct.

I noticed you have put a normative dependency on
[I-D.palombini-ace-coap-pubsub-profile]. I don't think it is necessary because
it is not a requirement to implement the spec. You could use it on top of it --
or you could use something else as well. I would move it to the informative
part. The added benefit of doing that is that you do not block your spec till
that draft becomes RFC. On the other hand, RFC 6749, RFC 7800, and
I-D.ietf-ace-cwt-proof-of-possession cannot be informative references when you
use PoP tokens in your solution.

You might be interesting to hear that there is currently no way to obtain the
keys for a PoP token over HTTP, which your solution requires. The virtual
interim meeting in the OAuth group should probably be of interest to you.

Ciao
Hannes