Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your suggestion. Your comment is relevant.

In fact, we wrote some time ago an article regarding our initial design, and we perform a comparison with other network layer based EAP lower-layer (https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/16/3/358)

We compared focusing EAP lower-layer (alone) and taking into account EAP. On the one hand, at EAP lower-layer level, the usage of CoAP gives us an important benefits. On the other hand, when taking into account the EAP method overload, this reduction is less but still significant if the EAP method is lightweight (we used EAP-PSK as a representative example of a lightweight EAP method). As you suggest, if the EAP method is very taxing (as the case you mentioned) the improvement carried out in the EAP lower-layer is less significant. This leads to the conclusion that possible next steps in this field could be also improving or designing new EAP methods that can be better adapted to the requirements of constrained devices and networks. However, we cannot ignore the impact of the EAP lower-layer itself and try to propose something light as we do proposing CoAP.

We consider that may be others EAP methods such as EAP-AKA or new lightweight EAP methods such as EAP-EDHOC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ingles-eap-edhoc-01) that can benefit from a CoAP-based EAP lower-layer, as well as new ones that may be proposed in the future with IoT constraints in mind.

Best Regards,
Dan.