Shishir K. Singh wrote:

Ben,

Even if I use ContextLoaderServlet, won't the filters get created before
ContextLoaderListener. In that case, the "init" of the filters will be
called even before the Spring context is available and thus, the
WebApplicationContextUtils.getRequiredWebApplicationContext will fail in
the filters.

I changed the ContextLoaderListener to ContextLoaderServlet in
contacts's web.xml and got the same error when deploying in tomcat now.

Yes, you're right. I've just committed to CVS HEAD an enhancement to FilterToBeanProxy which enables it to lazily initialize the proxied Filter (ie on the first HTTP request, not at filter initialization time). Just set initialization property "init" to "lazy". Please let me know if this works OK.