Everything in the acl package is specifically for this purpose.  It is
fairly well documented but the best way to learn is to look at the test
cases.

I am using the ACL stuff for instance based security but have a
different data model, so I wrote my own DAO to return ACL entries.  I
really like the way it is architected and, for simple implementations, I
think it needs no customization.

The only other thing that I added which I find extremely valuable is a
voter for ACL security.  The ACL package does not include this but I
find it is the best manner in which to check access on an instance.

Of