It looks like you figured out what to do about the questions in your
first email, good job.

Now, what AuthenticationProvider are you using? I ask because you have
in your interceptor that /index.do requires ROLE_USER. Does your
authentication object end up with ROLE_USER after it passes
authentication?

If you are using the DaoAuthenticationProvider, and the
InMemoryAuthenticationDao from the contacts sample, make sure the user
that you are logging in as has ROLE_USER permission.