March, Andres wrote:

When using an afterInvocationManager it may not always be necessary or possible to provide before invocation security, so why require an ADM? I just use one that is allows everyone and abstentions to pass but it seems like a bit of overhead when all I really care about is filtering the response data. Am I missing something?

You could always write (assuming you haven't already, as it sounds like from your email) a NoOperationAccessDecisionManager which implements AccessDecisionManager and just immediately returns from each method. Most people check the user has a ROLE_USER or similar in the AccessDecisionManager, to ensure the user is logged in before they invoke the method. I can't see that invocation adding much overhead to be honest - it's not being dynamically proxied or anything, it's just calling a method that immediately returns. Do you have some profiling that shows it's adding a lot of overhead to your app? If so we could possibly make it a switchable parameter on the AbstractSecurityInterceptor.

Cheers