On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Jonathan Rudenberg <jonat...@titanous.com>
wrote:

> It seems that there are potentially multiple valid sets of authorizations
> that are mutually exclusive.
>
> Consider a request for a certificate that has three SANs: a.example.com,
> b.example.com, c.example.com
>
> There are two valid paths to issuance: validate example.com, or validate
> the three SANs as specified in the CSR.

Note that whether these paths are valid depends entirely on the CA's
policy.  For example, I believe that Let's Encrypt would not consider the
"validate example.com" path to be valid.

> Under the precondition system, with ACME server/client implementations
> that were aware of this shortcut, the client could present a CSR that
> included example.com as one of the SANs, the server would return a single
> authorization request for example.com, and then after fulfilling that
> request, a subsequent request could be made with a CSR that did not contain
> the example.com SAN, only the subdomains, which would lead to immediate
> issuance without further authorization.
>
> Does it make sense for the server to be allowed to return multiple
> exclusive sets of authorizations that could lead to issuance, in order to
> avoid knowledge of the issuance rules in the client?

I don't really find this all that appealing, to be honest.  But I would
note that we have the "combinations" notion in the authorization struct
right now, which we could import here if we think there's really a need to
support this use case.  I would prefer just having the CA tell the client
what to do; flexibility does not seem nearly as necessary here as it does
at the authorization/validation stage.

--Richard