On 08/26/2016 12:25 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     > On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <j...@eff.org
> <mailto:j...@eff.org>
>     > <mailto:j...@eff.org <mailto:j...@eff.org>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >     I also think EKR's comment that we need the ability to authorize
> domain
>     >     names without immediately issuing is a solid one*. So I think we
> should
>     >     take the conservative approach and roll back the new-application
> flow
>     >     for now. I do think we should document wildcard validation before we
>     >     finalize the spec, but new-application may not be the best way to do
>     >     that.
>     >
>     >     *Eric, would you mind repeating what you said for the benefit of the
>     >     list? All we have right now are the notes and Richard's paraphrase.
>     >
>     >
>     > To the best of my memory, my comment was that I thought it was
> unfortunate
>     > that in order to register a domain you would have to generate a valid
> CSR
>     > and potentially actually get it issued. This is especially true if the
>     > key you
>     > plan to use for authorization is of a type you never intend to issue
> into an
>     > EE (e.g., you are authorizing with Ed255159 but you are planning to
>     > issue ECDSA and RSA). And it may not be possible to make these align
>     > if you have various restrictions due to HSMs.
>
>     Sorry to jump into this so late but could you elaborate on the use case
>     your are suggesting here? I am slightly confused about in what
>     circumstances you would want to authorize a domain for issuance, but not
>     actually issue for it.
>
>     In a situation where you i.e. don't know all of the names you want to
>     issue for in the future why not just wait until you do know all of those
>     names to create the authorizations? The same goes for the HSM situation
>     you describe, the key will be needed to sign the CSR at some point
>     anyway so why do the authorizations need to be created before the key is
>     used?
>

> The pattern here is you would have a management box that was responsible for
> the domain authorization process and for signing off on CSRs for other
> devices
> but was not itself intended to act as a Web server for the domain (this
> is more
> plausible with non-SimpleHTTPS authentication). In that case, you might
> pre-authorize all the domains but then on-the-fly have the actual origin
> servers
> make their own CSRs and get them signed off on by the management box. In
> this case, you wouldn't ever need an account key to sign the CSR.

I'm still unsure why this is not currently possible with the new-app flow?

Assuming in your example the management box passes back a certificate
after receiving a CSR from a origin server the only difference I can see
is there may be increased latency as the management box has to complete
authorizations instead of instantly getting a certificate back from the
ACME server.