I agree that end certificate data should be inlined in the certificate
object, rather than being hosted at a separate certificate URI, so long
as GET requests for order resources do not require authentication and
can thus be easily polled (which is currently the case).

I'm indifferent as to whether certificate data in the certificate object
is a PEM formatted JSON string or base64url-encoded DER formatted JSON
string.

I think it's essential to support multiple certificate chains and
referencing these by an array of URIs makes sense to me.

I think it should be a requirement that the server always list its
"recommended" chain first in that array, so that clueless clients can
always have a sensible default to go with. (i.e., Let's Encrypt would
list its current IdenTrust-based chain first, and its ISRG-based ahin
second).

I think having the certificate chains encoded in a format other than
concatenated PEM is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

I think it's important that those certificate chains should include the
root certificate, because it's required for some applications (DANE).
Clients which do not require the root certificate can simply be mandated
to strip off the last certificate returned in the chain. This is my
preference. Alternatively, if that's viewed as too error-prone, a link
rel=up link from the chain URL to the root URL could be used.

I don't agree that including the certificate in the certificate object
will cause badly implemented clients to assume synchronous issuance; one
simply polls the order resource until the certificate appears. This is
no different than waiting for a certificate URI to appear. (The current
specification doesn't provide for requests to the certificate URI to
defer a response; that was in a previous version.)