>    Hey Hugo,
>    Thanks for the PR.  Jacob and I chatted a bit about this, and wanted to
>    propose a slightly different approach:
>    [1]https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/pull/297
>    What do you think?  Others on the list have any thoughts?

This looks mostly OK.

My only concern is that it's not clear how a client can determine when a
server is still attempting automatic retries. Is this to be detected via
the absence of the Retry-After header? Something more explicit might be
nicer (and less susceptible to misimplementation).

Also, is each automatic retry to result in an error being appended if
unsuccessful? This could get quite spammy depending on how many times a
server repeats verification. Possibly amendment of the problem document
format to add a repeat count (in the spirit of "last message repeated N
times") might be desirable. Or that might be my usual overengineering.

Hugo Landau