On 05/30/2017 08:32 AM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
> - The server only supports HTTPS, and perhaps port 80 is blocked by a
> firewall. This situation applies to many REST endpoints.
This is in general a bad configuration. Leaving port 80 open for the
purposes of redirects is safe, and provides a better first-time users
experience (repeat users may take advantage of an HSTS header, which I
would assume to be present in such a config). And keep in mind that
validation in ACME follows redirects.

> - I am migrating from a non-ACME to an ACME cert, and so the server
> has a perfectly valid HTTPS cert. Or migrating from one ACME CA to a
> different one.
This doesn't make it harder to server HTTP on port 80.
> - I would like to ensure (using CAA records) that my CA is not subject
> to a DNS cache corruption attack - a threat that the ACME Security
> Considerations specifically mention.
I think this is the most compelling reason to offer HTTPS authorization.
In particular, I think it may make sense as a special requirement for
"high risk" validations. That is, for certain validations, the ACME
server may choose to require validation over HTTPS using a certificate
that validates to a certain set of roots.

However, requiring validation over HTTPS using a valid certificate would
be too onerous for general-purpose certificates, because it would mean
that server operators who lose their account key and all certificate
private keys could not recover and issue a certificate without manual
intervention.

I think HTTPS-with-valid-certificate is an interesting topic for future
implementation, but is complex enough that we shouldn't try to squeeze
it into the current document.