This is seeming like a lot of work for a pretty minor use case.

I would propose we stick with a simpler solution here.  While Sophie's
solution does seem more general, in the interest of getting the spec
shipped, I would propose we just add the boolean flag and write an
extension spec if a more general solution is needed.

--Richard