I prefer the RFC 6844-bis interpretation, but I note that this is not
compliant
with the Baseline Requirements, which mandate RFC 6844.  It's not clear
what that means though since as you correctly note, RFC 6844 contradicts
itself on this point.

I would support fixing the baseline requirements along the lines of what we
did for errata 5065.

-Tim